StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK- So I want to add some additional qauges to me DL1000. I'm thinking one of those 3 gauge units with, oil pressure, water temp and voltage. I'm thinking this would be pretty easy to do if the bike has ummmm... electrical sensing units instead of mechanical. So, I'd find the oil pressure sensor and splice the gauge wires into it and bingo ... I gotta gauge that means something and not just a quasi gauge that the stock bike uses. So - is this the right approach or am I seriously trippin'?

Thx
ZW

(PS - I know added gauges might seem dorky or like over kill - but hey if the shoe fits... :))

·
Registered
47 Posts
The problem you will most likely find with an oil pressure gauge is since the Stroms only have an idiot light, the sending unit acts only as a switch, on or off, providing a ground to the cluster, thus illuminating the idiot light. You'll want something that provides varying resistance to ground, based on variation of the actual pressure. Find a Japanese car that has a gauge and has the same thread pattern as your existing sender, and buy a sender like that. Good luck.

·
Registered
91 Posts
OK- So I want to add some additional qauges to me DL1000. I'm thinking one of those 3 gauge units with, oil pressure, water temp and voltage. I'm thinking this would be pretty easy to do if the bike has ummmm... electrical sensing units instead of mechanical. So, I'd find the oil pressure sensor and splice the gauge wires into it and bingo ... I gotta gauge that means something and not just a quasi gauge that the stock bike uses. So - is this the right approach or am I seriously trippin'?

Thx
ZW

(PS - I know added gauges might seem dorky or like over kill - but hey if the shoe fits... :))
Lately I've been riding longer in less populated areas. Since the fuel guage is not that accurate I think it would be fun to have one of those instruments that shows instant and average mpg, then actual miles left before empty based on that average. The information is there, just need to capture it somehow. Or just a more accurate fuel guage.

Not a big deal but hey. dare to dream.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts