StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, having just purchased a DL650 for my wife and a DL1000 for myself, with the plans to do some traveling/adventure/motorcycle camping and touring, I have done a lot of research into various bikes and choose the V-Stroms to be the vehicle for these plans.
I am developing a build sheet for the items needed to make our traveling possible and safe, but had some questions about the need for an aux fuse box. Many bikes that I had researched mentioned a aux fuse box installed.

What is the driving need or reason to install a aux fuse box?

From an electrical perspective, neither bike has any power outlets, (not that I have found), planned to install GPS and a phone port and holder, heated grips and outlet for heated riding gear and some aux LED driving lights.

What will I need to do to ensure that the V-Strom electrical system can handle these electrical requirements?

Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
16,866 Posts
Eastern Beaver PC8, it is custom made for the Stroms and is literally plug and play. You get both switched and un switched circuits, allows for keeping your battery terminals from getting filled up with connections, plus you get all "separately" fused circuits as well.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
I loved the design and convenience of that PC-8 fusebox so much that I took it off my V-Strom when I traded it and installed it on my Super Tenere.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/members/41909-rcinnc-albums-pc-8-installation-homemade-elevated-pc-8-mount.html

If I recall correctly, the total power output of the electrical system on my DL650 (a 2012) was 55 watts, which would be your guideline on how many different things can be powered by the bike simultaneously. I don't recall how much of that output was necessary for the actual operation of the bike. I had three outlets on mine, two on the handlebar clamps to run things like the phone or GPS, and one that was frame mounted with heavier gauge wire (14 gauge if I recall correctly) so I could run a higher draw item like an air compressor. I also had a voltmeter running off one of the switched circuits. I didn't run anything like heated clothing, or heated grips or seat, but others on here have with apparently no issues.

Attachments

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Basic V-Strom Wiring 101

In that link you will find a lot of handy information including how much power is available for different models. GPS and phone take very little power. Lights and heat take much more though LEDs are not nearly as bad as halogens. The biggest advantages of a fuse block are there is a fuse for each device, it's a convenient place to connect devices and all the devices you want to go off with the ignition switch do so.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
What will I need to do to ensure that the V-Strom electrical system can handle these electrical requirements?
Nothing. The system has it's limited power output, and that's that.

About the fuse block. I had one. I don't really see the need. Now I put a longer screw into the positive battery post and run all the accessory positives to that with an in-line fuse holder near the battery. I run a large gauge negative wire to the front of the bike and connect all the accessory negatives to that. The strom already has a heated grip connector buried somewhere on top of the radiator. Your power for the electronics is minor. The LED lights isn't a big load. The heated gear is more load, but it'll be handled OK. Consider louder horns while you're wiring everything. I like FIAMM (or NAPA labeled) Freeway Blasters powered through a relay.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I like the idea of the PC-8 since it has switched connections so that accessories can't be accidentally left on when the bike is off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts