StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Life doesn't come with a soundtrack, but it should. :beatnik:

Link here!

If you're not a fan of music while on the road you may want to pass this by. I enjoy music when I'm riding, especially on a long trip. I've had several bikes which came the electronics built in, but as you all know the Strom does not. I've recently purchased a J&M cb radio, the installation is a bit beyone my capabilities so while I'm waiting for some assistance, I went this route using a Mix-It2 to incorporate my iPod for music and my Zumo for directions.

Anyhoo, here it is and I hope you guys like it.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used this same setup on my ST1300 with great success, but I'm not sure how much wind noise it will cut on the Strom. They are very, very close to my ears and the foam/rubber casing keeps it pretty tight while still being comfortable. I'll be testing tomorrow weather permitting and will hope for the best. I never ran the gps through my old original Mix-It so this will be a big change for me.

I will say that the quality of the sound is awesome with these headphone speakers. I'm kicking myself in the butt for not having a set of ear speakers made at the bike show this season but I was just too cheap to do it. LOL I made a set of Radians but haven't been happy with them much. So far, the best hearing protection has been the foam inserts for me. Time will tell.

·
Registered
386 Posts
It's almost madatory for music on a long trip. I installed a Sirius radio along with an ampliRider amp and a ChatterBox speaker system in my helmet. Simple but it works for me. I get to listen to my old Country music without the wife griping about it too.

The sirius is mounted on a Pat Walsh shelf, wiring run under the seat to an aux fuse block. AmpliRider originally mounted using double sided tape under the seat. Now I have it under the seat support wrapped in bubble wrap and halway water-proofed. Maybe overkill since I never got it wet before. Supposedly no issues from sealing the amp up. AmpliRider volume control is velcroed/velcro--d/stuck on with velcro on the r/side cowling. Speaker connections just run up from the front of the seat, zip-tied to frame so I don't yank them out.

To get away from wind noise I just use regular old foam ear plugs. You can still hear the music w/o cranking it up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gary makes a great product in the Amplirider. I had a couple of those on previous bikes also. Thanks for the info on the foam earplugs. I was hoping that would work if the headphone speakers didn't do enough to shield my ears from the wind noise. I hope to test this thing out tomorrow.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have an autocom system that has a sandisk mp3 player plugged into it. The player is housed under the small black box on the handlebars with the "support the troops decal" on it. The player is turned on everytime I start the bike. I also have a USB power outlet under the seat for charging it.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
iPod Nano in a jacket chest pocket and ear buds at a sensible (low) level does me just fine.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Installing speakers in the helmet this weekend, TORKX2 - Tork X2 Helmet Speakers

The Zune should be here in a week. I have to recess mount the speaker into the helmet, My ears stick out a bit, very painful for me if I just velcro them in place. I glued my first set in, The Gorilla glue expanded into the speaker - :headbang:

Actually it does, which you should be paying attention to rather than what's blaring through your earbuds.
I will not argue this............I'm hoping the music is no more distracting than when driving the car.

·
Registered
962 Posts
No offense, but that windshield and add-on "wings" remind me of something...
No offense taken, and I don't like the look either.
But I use my bike as a commuter yr round and those wings greatly enhance weather protection riding 150+ days in very wet, single digit temperature days.

Ken

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Just the thread I was looking for.
My Nuvi 360 is now mounted and working, and it is a very good MP3 player.
But its speakers are kind of low volume, and the RAM cradle actually blocks the left speaker completely.
I don't fancy helmet speakers too much.
Can anyone recommend a small external powered speaker? It should be powered since the Nuvi does not seem to have enough power to drive a speaker.

I think one powerful but small mono speaker would be just fine.
Maybe I can attach it somehow to the left of the RAM cradle - there is some extra plastic there that I can use to bolt on the speaker.

With some research, I'll find something, but maybe somebody here already solved that problem?

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
boost the volume

I use a 2 AA battery powered amp with my Garmin Zumo to split and power speakers in both mine and my wife's helmet. Probably boosts by about 50% and the batteries have lasted for tours as long as 3 weeks with no volume loss. The inexpensive unit is only $20 mine has survived 2 years of regular use. It is partially protected, wrapped in a plastic zip-lock bag, in my tank bag and has survived lots of rain.

Headphone Amplifiers : Headphones : Accessories

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I use a 2 AA battery powered amp with my Garmin Zumo to split and power speakers in both mine and my wife's helmet. Probably boosts by about 50% and the batteries have lasted for tours as long as 3 weeks with no volume loss. The inexpensive unit is only $20 mine has survived 2 years of regular use. It is partially protected, wrapped in a plastic zip-lock bag, in my tank bag and has survived lots of rain.

Headphone Amplifiers : Headphones : Accessories
Thanks! great tip.
I prefer not to deal with battery powered - too much maintenance, and my experience with Captain Murphy is that he always appears when I don't want him..
They have another 12V kit but the price jumps to $60.
I found this, just now:
Motorbike Motorcycle MP3 Amplifier and Speaker 200W 12V | Virtual Village - US

Sold out..

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am also interested in Music for my long trips. I am considering the Sena smh 10 intercom system (Bluetooth Stereo Headset and Intercom for Motorcycles - SMH10) and attach a bluetooth adapter (Sony TMR-BT8IP - iPod Bluetooth adapter to my older ipod for seemless and easy connectivity. Eventually will run the ipod through a GPS and from the GPS to the headset. Also wearing ear plugs but supposedly the Sena volume and sound are pretty good. Does anyone have this set up?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I installed an amp and speakers this weekend. I've got to have tunes while riding. I didn't want bulky speakers or a system that really stood out visually.

This is what I installed:
Amazon.com: Pyle PLMRMP2A 2 Channel Waterproof MP3/iPod Marine Power Amplifier: GPS & Navigation
Amazon.com: Pyle PLMCS36 400 Watts Motorcycle/ATV/Snowmobile Mount with Dual Handle-Bar Mount - Weatherproof - 2.25-Inch Speakers - Set of 2: Car Electronics

I really like the way it sounds, but I have noticed that the ground may need to be slightly modified. I have it going to my FZ-1 fuse block and I get some engine noise when no tunes are playing. All in all, definitely worth $100.

·
Registered
15,046 Posts
"Life doesn't come with a soundtrack, but it should."

Balderdash, there is music in the minds and souls of those who chose to listen to it. I don't need no stinking extra device to distract me from the work at hand of operating a motorcycle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts