StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey. Just got a new 650XT in California. Horrified to see that it doesn't come with Hazard lights (4 way flashers). It seems I should be able to short the left and right wires coming out of turn signals together via a switch and two diodes to re-create the missing function. I've searched this forum and no one seems to have done it. Why not? What am I missing?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I do recall someone mentioning here that they had done just that, with a switch added to body work that when turned on would cause the flashers to blink on both sides when activated for either side. Not a difficult wiring job at all. Go for it!

·
Registered
460 Posts
It's probably much easier to buy the left handlebar cluster from a similar-year but EU-spec 650. All EU-spec bikes have the hazards by default. You can either get a new one from the usual sources, or try to get a 2nd hand one from one that was in an accident and written off. It's also a much cleaner solution that way.

The other thing to be aware of is that you might need another relay to deal with the higher current, if your current relay is not designed to handle both the 2-way and 4-way current. However, information about whether this is required is hard to come by. Best is to look at your current relay (just in front of the battery) and see if it has something like ("T: 21Wx2" and "H: 21Wx4") on it. The T is the wattage of 2-way flashers (normal indicators) and the H is the wattage of all four flashers combined.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I really like backpacker's suggestion, but I would check to see if there is anything else that needs to go with it first. There may be another component besides the switch block.
The Euro switch pod will be the best solution. As an example, my North American Trophy has a blanking cover where the OFF-RUN-HEAD switch is on the Euro models. Plug 'n' Play the switch pod is all that's required to have switched headlights/running lights functioning over here.

In this case I would expect to have to plug in an appropriate relay to an existing blank position. I want to know the answer, too, because I actually use my hazards quite a lot on my Trophy (thanks for the break or watch out, traffic has stopped on the freeway) and want them on the Vee.

Cheers,
Glenn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts