StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to add fog lights and a light bar, It looks like the 650’s have and extra 100 watts above stock needs, my lights are 18W each and the bar is 54W making it 126 Watts total unless I only do 2 lights, 90 Watts then... I am not finding any info on it.

Do I need to upgrade anything or the battery will be ok?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I would just stick with the aux lights and not bother with the bar. I personally run one flood and one spot light on a mounting bar on my 04 and have no issues with too much electrical draw. Both are just Amazon lights.

Reactions: GlennTom

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Looking to add fog lights and a light bar, It looks like the 650’s have and extra 100 watts above stock needs, my lights are 18W each and the bar is 54W making it 126 Watts total unless I only do 2 lights, 90 Watts then... I am not finding any info on it.

Do I need to upgrade anything or the battery will be ok?
With that many lumens be sure you have a dimmer switch.
Get an Eastern Beaver headlight cutout, it will save a good amount of Watts
Install an onboard volt meter to keep an eye on your charging system.
We have 2 Clearwater 60W each lights on all our bikes. Fully dimable for forward traffic at night. I’ve also installed volt meters on the bikes and the Strom has the headlight cutout. The only time the lights are at full power is when there is no forward vehicles. Unless you enjoy riding across the open desert in the middle of the night as I do, you will rarely need that many lumens.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I plugged in el cheapo LED headlight bulbs. For $50 they really get attention. I've had my Mondomoto M10's for about 6 years now. I mounted them to the fender. I never dim them, never shut them off for oncoming traffic and I've never been flashed. I have been stopped by motorists who say I have excellent visibility.

·
Registered
381 Posts
First, swap your headlights for LED lights. I am personally using these and can attest that they are great...

Evitek LED Headlight Bulbs for Cars Motorcycles- Hi/Lo Beam H4 9003- Plug n Play, 40W (Amazon or eBay should have these)

Next get yourself these aux lights (spot or flood depending on your needs). I have a similar version of these but I don't have an updated photo.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HA14OK4/ref=twister_B01HP23ZZM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And mount them to the fender screw on each side. Easy peasy and you are good to go. (sorry for the shoddy picture)

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
381 Posts
Mounting to the forks is good but is does increase unsprung weight and the wires have to be able to move with the forks. If you have crash bars, they make a good mounting spot.http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/346978-another-lighting-post-$20.html
Actually, they add about 75 grams if that with no perceivable change. They also have plenty of wire for whatever travel needed and zip ties make it look legit. Not to mention, they blend in so well. I got a quote from a local dealer just speculating. He said that he didn't know the Wee came with those. I let him know it was aftermarket. Anyway, it's for those who ride to decide.

Found a picture with them installed...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
If you ride on rough roads those will eventually come loose. Ask me how i know lol. Even eith blue lock tite i had a da dangling light and a floppy fender 10 miles up a rough FS road.

I took the lights off and worked some zip tie magic that held until i got home. I ordered a light bar right after that.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm running LED headlight bulbs and two 60 watt LED spot lights with a dimmer for daytime use. I ran the '10w amazon specials' and those are good for being seen but do nothing for night time visibility. I can run all the lights, and heated jacket on 2/5 and not go below 13v.

·
Administrator
18,165 Posts
The Eastern Beaver headlight relay kit gave me about 15% more brightness with my OEM bulbs, them and my 10 W LED flood lights really lights things up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts