StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished my fuel cell installation tonight. I have some testing to do now :eek:). I picked the "beer Keg" fuel cell because it was the size I wanted (3.5 gallons) and it came with mounting brackets. I also plan to transfer with an electric pump (located behind the left side cover). My thinking with this arrangement is that I won't have to have a cut-off valve - the electric pump should stop the flow when it isn't running. Here are a couple of pics.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Extened riding time, less gas stops especially where gas stations are few and far between on the backroads. I have a fuell cell on my FJR that meets IBA standard 11.5 gallons of fuel that allows me about a 450 mile range. At night stretching the distance its nice to know that the next station is already on the bike.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Looks good Andy. How does the weight effect and or fluid movement in the cell affect the handling? If you aren't doing an iron butt ride, maybe you could put a little beer in it for a real "tail" gate party, LOL.

JDP

·
Registered
499 Posts
Is this something you plan to keep on there full-time or when you need it???

You won't find many others with that "look" and it'll be a good conversation starter when you do stop... No more looking for a gas station to relieve yourself, just pull off the road, take a whizzer and back on your way you go, no matter where you are!

I'll be interested if you ever "really" need it or if it's mostly peace of mind. I guess if you have it, you'll use it!

Regardless of the look or function, it's something you did and are proud of it!

Good job!

Later

·
Registered
221 Posts
Is this something you plan to keep on there full-time or when you need it???

You won't find many others with that "look" and it'll be a good conversation starter when you do stop... No more looking for a gas station to relieve yourself, just pull off the road, take a whizzer and back on your way you go, no matter where you are!

I'll be interested if you ever "really" need it or if it's mostly peace of mind. I guess if you have it, you'll use it!

Regardless of the look or function, it's something you did and are proud of it!

Good job!

Later
Why stop to relieve yourself? Just do it NASA style -- Diapers!

Stan.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I like the setup. I too ride where fuel stops are far and few between. I have considered just strapping a gas can on the bike,but dont like the idea of dropping my bike and havig gas go everywhere.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
why?

Why? I am planning to do a 100CCC - Coast-to-Coast-to-Coast in 100 hours. I did this ~5 years ago with a couple of friends and we called ourselves Los Tres Amigos. We are calling this ride the Los Tres Amigos Reunion Ride. I wanted to be able to ride 260 miles between gas stops. When I did this before, it was on a full dress touring bike. Out in the desert, where we seemed to be constantly climbing, and we were riding into a strong headwind, mileage went way down (10 gallons for 260 miles). I figure the Wee-Strom will do this run on 9 gallons. Besides that, I figure the fuel tank will be a great place for my Bud Light #8 decals.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Another 100CCC huh. Is it the same Los Tres Amigos? I don't think I've seen any posts anywhere from Joe in Alabama. Is he still on the same GS? Who was the other guy from Texas with the cigars and the wing? I hope he brings plenty of toilet paper this time, LOL (I remember the stories). I've seen that scenery for the 50CC and 100CCC I did so that I truly admire you wanting to see all that real estate again. I even saw it all again last year when I bought my 04 ST1300 in San Diego and rode it back to NC. What is the date for your start? Are you going out from Tybee Island or Jax?

JDP

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Los Tres Amigos

I enjoyed all of the ride except the part between Baton Rouge and Houston. Joe is going but he hasn't decided if he will his GS or his FJR. The FJR has not been farkled so he views the trip as incentive to get busy. Ben Askew is the guy from Texas. I have advised him to bring a poncho just in case he has to stop on this trip for another dump in the desert (no trees or bushes to hide behind). I have some reservations about riding the Wee-Strom. I almost bought a bike (Honda Pacific Coast) just for this trip. In the end, I decided that the Wee-Strom would do. The Wee-Strom is the most comfortable bike I have had (reads fits me best), at least for the first 500 miles.

·
Registered
321 Posts
......I also plan to transfer with an electric pump (located behind the left side cover). My thinking with this arrangement is that I won't have to have a cut-off valve - the electric pump should stop the flow when it isn't running........
That looks like it ought to gravity feed just fine. If you don't want to mess with a manual shut-off valve, Sampson Sport Touring sells an electric solenoid valve that is designed for fuel shut-off. I am using the same unit on my Wee to control the gravity flow from a JAZ 5-gallon cell into the main tank. I went this way because there wasn't a good place to locate a manual valve that was easily accessible with my large duffel strapped to the pillion. The solenoid mounts anywhere there's room. Mine is behind the right side tail cover. I control it with a lighted switch so I can tell at a glance whether or not the valve is open and, so far, it's worked flawlessly. This might give you the convenience you seem to be after without the relative complexity of a pump. Just another option.

·
Registered
321 Posts
How did you plug it into your existing system?
Ah, the one true hiccup in the whole installation. Really, the only way to tie the two tanks together on a fuel injected bike is to cut into the main tank with a bulkhead fitting that has a barbed end to accept the fuel line from the aux cell. On the V-Stroms, the fuel pump inspection plate makes a pretty ideal location to do this. There is a local fabricator here in the Seattle area that worked with Ron Smith, (a "big dog" in both realms of LD riding and fabbing farkles for various LD bikes before he passed away all too early in 2005), who is well versed in this modification. After looking over my plate and learning that you can't just buy the plate from Suzuki but, instead have to purchase the entire pump assembly, I called Roy. I brought him my pump assembly and he disassembled it, drilled the appropriate sized hole in the exact right spot, and welded the 90 degree fitting in place in exactly the right orientation for about $60. This included the price of the fitting. Here's a page by another StromTrooper, Tedder, who has a really nice aux setup on his Wee;

http://perljam.net/motorcycle/dl650/auxfueltank/install/

One of the pics shows a pretty good view of the fitting installed in his tank.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Man I whish I had one of those the night I got stuck in a 1 horse town with no gas at 2am in the morning...

I had to wait till the service station opened up at 6 am (Ice had formed on my helmet by then) and when I went to fill up I found I had half a tank of Gas left.....

I was pretty pissed at myself, It was my old GSX and the fuel gauge never worked properly, so i used the trip meter as a fule gauge, only problem was that I forgot to reset it at the last fuel stop.

·
Registered
453 Posts
personal comfort

Don't forget your personal relief tube.
Sorry no pics.
& keep in mind who & how close anyone is riding behind you.
But it really works.
I got the idea from my father telling me about the "relief tubes" fitted in some of the Navy fighter during WWII. How one guys tube froze shut. Of all the things to worry about & now the guy is really pissed off.
Good luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts