StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did alittle "cutting-up" today while in the shop.....while everyone else was out Black-Fridaying.

If you look closely on a 650 Wee, there is lots of un-used space between the rear side cowlings (L & R) and the frame. I have stowed away some spare levers, patch kit, and even a bicycle-type hand pump in the two "caverns", but the items are hard to reach unless you have tiny hands. So today, I did the unthinkable: I cut into my pristine sidecovers with an electric handsaw!!
Purpose: to add an easier top entry into the areas mentioned above. The pics kinda explain everything.....I am not totally thru yet, still have to cut up some black plastic material ( I use an old plastic car inner-fender I have in the shop, but plastic tote material would work also) to create a flat bottom for the stowed items to sit on without falling thru the cracks between the bodywork and frame. I can now reach my big-hairy gorilla hand down thru the frame rail and the sidecover, to retrieve my balony sammiches when out on a ride. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Storage.....

The last pic above shows the "shelf" (white) template using posterboard........will use it to cut out the black plastic to bolt (or pop rivet) to the existing black plastic inner fenders already on the Wee. The cuts do not show with the seat on the bike.

Also: for all you non-Californey Wee owners, the pollution control canister bracket on the right side, just outside the frame rails where the battery resides, can be "popped off" using a large screwdriver/chisel. I believe all Wees come with this bracket, but nothing to mount there unless you own a California Bike. The "U-shaped" part of the bracket pops off easily....just spot welded onto a larger bracket. The larger bracket would take lots more work (cutting/grinding) to remove.....I just left it........as a Frame Stiffener, yeah, that's it. :fineprint:

·
Registered
404 Posts
See below...

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
Maybe a couple of short bungee cords or straps could hold a closed PVC tube with a screw on clean-out cap on one end to the frame rail above the shelf?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I love ingenuity and creative uses but when I do something like this I am compelled to fill it with all manner of items that I cannot live without, only to find that after weeks, months, years later I forgot what I even was carrying becasue I've never used it.

I get further confused when I have mutiple bikes to the point where have tooled them all the same. Nothing like being on one bike and needing a tool that is on the other bike.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
You have me seriously thinking of doing this mod with a plastic display case hinge.
Should be a simple epoxy to adhere the pieces and a simple little lip to support in the closed position.
I’m more leaning of mounting my power commander in there leaving enough length in wiring to pull up and plug into my laptop.
Currently lays in the tool tray and would free up a little space.
Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Some of you guys are probably ingenius enough (not me) to add a hinged door on top??
If you wanted it would be quite easy to put the cutout back in place with the use of glue on Velcro or magnets.

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Rolex, good idea. I have done both sides now, and there is LOTS of storage in the sidecovers.........for spares, tire kits, I believe a small air pump might fit as well, oil bottle, gloves, etc. Again, the cut-outs do not show with my seat in place, so at the moment, I am not worried about a lid or cover........the items I will have in there are waterproof (tools) or will be wrapped in a baggie. Another area I have used, is on the left and right sides inside the front cowling. I ordered a $3 triangular (but a square would fit too) 7" x 7" bicycle bag from China, used some industrial-stick velcro from Walmart, and now have a place for hidden documents, Pesos, gloves, or whatever. The bag DOES NOT interfere with steering nor my wiring. It is pretty much unseen unless someone looks down in the gap where the triples live. I can take pics if anyone needs......
Ride On...!!!
mark444

1 - 12 of 12 Posts