StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:shock:

I added some hyper lites to my litre strom yesterday and really like the effect. They are extremely noticable when I hit the brakes. You'd have to be nearly blind not to notice them. I commute 300-500 miles per week and have had too many close calls.

I wanted to mount them as high as possible somewhere that would not interfere with my soft bags, or require any connector/wiring with the top case. They are angled slightly inward but the reflection off the rack ensures max brightness straight back. I added a connector under the rack to make removal very easy. Wiring was as per the instructions, very easy.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nice!

Just wondering where you purchased the lights from?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use these as well... they are bright! Cagers can't help but notice them, even in broad daylight.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For mine, you tap into two brake light wires on the bike, crimp two others (included in the package), mount the flasher unit under the fender, mount the light unit on top of the license plate light and ride away whistling.... or flashing, as the case may be :D

Link to V-Strom kit: http://www.hyperlites.com/Vstrom.html

Instructions seem a little vague at 1st, but once you have the parts and begin work on the bike, it's cake. Took me 20 mins ~ and I took my time.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RubberDown said:
How difficult are these to install? Do you have to tap into the wiring or is there an included plug of some sort.
The universal kit comes with everything you need to tap into the break light wiring. the instructions for a strom install have them located above the license plate late but I preferred the higher location and needed to drill a hole for the wires to pass through the plastic rear fender.

M

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looking through the Aerostich catalog, they offer both the hyperlites and some similar lights called ElectroPods. They're half the price, so what gives? Anyone try these? Are they comparable to the hyperlites?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pretty much the same thing, depending on the kit you order. I got the 16 light module, but you can get the same thing that Marndo got, two modules of 6 each.

I believe the ElectroPods began life as a music light show item. They are available in several colors, whereas the Hyperlites are in red only. The Hyperlites also can be modified to go from solid flashing only to flash for 5 seconds and then solid, for as long as you apply your brakes. If you let off and re-apply the sequence begins anew.

BTW: California motor vehicle code states that flashing auxilary brakes lights are supposed to only flash for 4 seconds before going to the solid light mode. I seriously doubt anyone will be written up for that, if they leave them flashing only. I talked to several Motor Officers in the past week, asking them about that, and they laughed and stated that they wouldn't change theirs from always flashing... "anything to keep the cars from rear-ending me..." ~ common comment from police on bikes. Mostly they just split lanes at stop lights and use the cars they split as a 'barrier' against getting smacked from behind. (legal in CA, of course.. your mileage may vary)

Either brand will do the job, I chose the Hyper-lites because they seemed aimed more squarely at bike applications, and specifically because they had a kit already styled for the 'Stroms. The 16 light module is so bright at night it's almost blinding. (which I view as a 'happy problem')

Geg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts