StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I earlier posted "Bestem 929 slides a long time 60mph". Thanks for the ideas from the people who responded.

I decided to add a safety hold-down bolt to insure the trunk stays on the bike. I drilled a 9/32” hole just ahead of the latch area inside the truck and continued through the steel mounting plate. After filing the hole in the mounting plate square I installed a carriage bolt up in this hole. I used a nut to hold this bolt to the mounting plate. This does not hold the bolt tight to the mounting plate, and the slight wiggle allows the truck to slide on and latch. I was concerned about adding a stress point to the trunk so I added a spacer of 3 flat washers and a Fender Washer on top of the bolt. I tried different quantities of washers to insure this height was correct. I also added a Fender Washer on the inside of the trunk (had to trim the edge) and a Nylock Nut to keep it tight. The carpet pad I use inside my trunk should protect things.

With this safety feature the trunk should not unexpectantly leave my bike again!

Material list: ¼” x 1” Carriage Bolt, ¼’ Nut, (3) ¼” washers, (2) Fender Washers, Nylock Nut

Attachments

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
This should fix any loose rattle noise also.
I have thought of something similar, but with a pull pin so I could remove the case quickly on road trips.
I like to strip luggage off bike when out on trips and not knowing the area.
Mike

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I did something similar after my givi topcase flew off my '82 gsx1100. I used a U=bolt through the plate and a couple of washers and wingnuts in the topcase.
The only trouble for me was that it scratched the hell out of wifey's helmet when I stored it in there and went for a nice long ride in the country (which included 15 km of bumpy gravel at high speed).
I've learned to use nylon wingnuts instead of metal ones.
Better yet, I've learnt to never again use a topcase that's big enough to fly away.

·
Registered
15,417 Posts
I have been using a nylon strap around the top box because of a loose fit.
I recently got a second box and you've convinced me this is a good idea. I won't be moving the box from bike to bike so bolting it in place will illuminate the bother of the strap.
A ray of sunshine on a rainy day, thanks.

·
Registered
15,417 Posts
I used a clevis pin with some fender washers under the head of the pin. Simple to remove.

You just reminded me...Pip Pins, Maybe even faster than a clevis pins. Thanks.
Now where is that surplus fastener warehouse?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts