StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have added two 55watt aux lights to the strom and every once in a while the battery goes dead. The lights are isloated thru the iginition of the bike. What have you stromers done to maintain your battery and charging system? I'm thinking of putting a second battery in the bike for back up...it sucks tring to push start a decked out 1000.....

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
You are very close to the maximum charging output of your alternator. Any time you are running at less than about 4000rpm, you are in a discharge state. Another battery won't help much. It will make the times between a need for a charge longer but your system will still be discharging at the same rpms.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
You might try disabling one of your main headlights though I'm not sure if that would help you....

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Greywolf is right you are near total capacity ,batteries on modern bikes are very small in holding capacity and also do not last a long time if your battery is about a year old it will have a reduced holding capacity .
You could put a switch in the circuit to the headlight so you can turn one off in the daytime , and when you stop at night turn what you can off and let the bike run for a few minutes above 2500 rpm,this should put enough in to restart in the morning. Cold weather is a killer for batteries by the way , so you may consider replacing your battery if it is old or you are in a cold climate.

·
Registered
725 Posts
water warrior said:
A couple 35 watt bulbs instead of the 55's might be the answer.
+1. 110 watts is right at, if not a little over, the surplus capacity of the charging system. Smaller bulbs will put you back under the limit. You may also want to add a voltmeter to keep an eye on the electrical system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts