StromTrooper banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning to ride to Alaska someday........can't hurt a guy to dream, right?? I have a full-size skidplate that I won't install due to its weight (13 lbs).......and I don't plan on doing that kind of riding anyway......might be a mistake, but my mind is made up. For oil cooler, radiator, and oil filter protection, I have added a Fenda-Extenda and aftermarket cooler/radiator guards.......along with a plastic "condom" for the filter :biggrinjester:
For added protection, I built an additional aluminum "stone guard" (i.e. the cow-catcher name) for debri thrown up from the front tire. Time will tell if it helps.......

·
Registered
808 Posts
good idea. I took a few large rocks off the skidplate, kicked up by the front wheel, your cowcatcher would probably stop that happening.

·
Registered
59 Posts
what did you make the oil filter "condom" out of? I'm looking to do something similar after I finish my hwy pegs. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what did you make the oil filter "condom" out of? I'm looking to do something similar after I finish my hwy pegs. Thanks!
Mike.........right now, it's just a cut-down plastic bottle (Coffee Creamer) with a large magnet holding it onto the filter, but it really needs to be more substantial (maybe some kind of material like PVC or ???). If you come up with something, post it here.....I'm all ears!!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Yep. Impressive.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Mike.........right now, it's just a cut-down plastic bottle (Coffee Creamer) with a large magnet holding it onto the filter, but it really needs to be more substantial (maybe some kind of material like PVC or ???). If you come up with something, post it here.....I'm all ears!!
Catfood tin works :)

G

·
I'm thinking of something too for the filter. It doesn't like rocks. :surprise:

Magnet is a nice touch. Needs to handle around 200 degrees on the surface.

Fender extender would be the best bet though. Does it really help keep rocks from dinging things up?

I have a GIVI plate but it loses about 1" of ground clearance!

ADD: I just cut a simple green wipes container in 1/2 and it fits over the oil cooler nice and snug. It's #2 HDPE and can stand 248 F for short periods. Other than the white color it will work in a pinch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts