StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the V Strom. Doing just basic service for a used bike. Sitting here looking at the air box. Has anyone removed it and replaces with air filter pods? Seems like it would free up a fair bit of space. Since most people have some sort of fuel controller you could adjust the mapping to compensate for additional air if needed.

IDK. Just a thought. Would love some feedback before I do something potentially foolish lol

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Air boxes serve a much bigger purpose than just housing a filter. Most bikes run worse with POD filters. Plus you lose the weather protection if you remove the air box and get a lot of intake noise.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,252 Posts
This sounds like a Really Bad Idea.

It's not just the air filter, you also need the airbox to be there for the intake air pressure sensor, intake air temperature sensor, "boost" sensor, and crankcase breather filter.

Possibly you could eventually re-engineer things enough to work - maybe - but why?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Valid points. Last bike was a KLR and it really didn't care about much lol so a little bit of a learning curve moving to injection. I'll leave it where it's at and move along with the valve check.

Appreciate the reply fellas.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Dale Walker (Holeshot Performance) didn’t even go with a pod design. I’d suggest staying away from it. They really suck if riding highway in the rain.
A K&N filter, a hole in the air box, along with a cover to prevent water from getting into the air box hole is the design Dale is using.
Check out his site if you want to know more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts