StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The site has been hanging on ad.crwdcntrl.net for me at every page change.

·
38,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Response time is quicker now and the titled item is no longer appearing.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,185 Posts
I gave up on it. Came back a while later and it is back to more or less normal.

Probably hacked again........

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
I get the same "ad.crwdcntrl.net" and "waiting for secure connection" crap all the time. What is it this this stuff? It's not even a secure connection to begin with! I find myself hitting F5 all the time just to refresh and force the page to go where it's supposed to. It's getting annoying to say the least. Now I'm getting bcp.xxxxx stuff too. Why all the cloak & dagger rerouting?

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I get the same "ad.crwdcntrl.net" and "waiting for secure connection" crap all the time. What is it this this stuff? It's not even a secure connection to begin with! I find myself hitting F5 all the time just to refresh and force the page to go where it's supposed to. It's getting annoying to say the least. Now I'm getting bcp.xxxxx stuff too. Why all the cloak & dagger rerouting?

Scanned your system lately?

Try clearing your browser cache also.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Blocking unwanted sites

You can block the vast majority of "bad" sites (and many add sites) by modifying the hosts file on your PC. A host file exists on most every OS I know of and is a hold over of the old days of manually updating Domain Name Service (DNS) records. Sadly I remember having to do this on some *Nix systems back in the day.

Background: Each time you or your browser makes a call to a website, a DNS query is executed locally against a file called hosts on your system and if no answer is found there, the query is sent out of your box to an Internet based DNS server. This happens in the foreground (you enter in "www.stromtrooper.com" and hit enter) or in the background when the page you are calling, makes a call to another page so that an ad can be served up.

This process can add latency to your page loads due to network congestion, inaccurate information in the DNS system (it is now a shared database which is distributed throughout many servers on the Internet and updated automatically when a change is entered at some authoritative point) and a for slew of other reasons.

The order of DNS look up is the local host file, then the Internet DNS system (there is some caching in there as well, but I"m not going into that detail).

So to block unwanted hosts from displaying or being reached (this was an early form of parental controls in my house) you would add an entry to your host file that looks like this:

127.0.0.1 ad.crwdcntrl.net

or I believe today you can also use:

0.0.0.0 ad.crwdcntrl.net

So when your web browser makes a DNS call to your OS, the OS looks at the local host file, sees the entry for ad.crwdcntrl.net as 127.0.0.1 (or 0.0.0.0) it thinks it has an authoritative answer, does the whole HTTP get process (now sending the request to YOUR local PC, not the server on the Internet) and gets nothing back and you end up with a HTTP:404 error (page not found) where the add should have been.

So to make life easier, there are smart people out there who've decided they will maintain a community compiled hosts file that one can use to put on their system and block many of the ad and nefarious sites that cause us so much trouble.

The most popular and one I have used in the past is Blocking Unwanted Connections with a Hosts File

There are others, just do some Googling to find out more.

If you a running a *Nix based system, you will be looking at the /etc/hosts file.

As a test, I just did this following the directions on the site on my PC running Win8.1 and had no hiccups.

This is what it looks like when an add is blocked:

YMMV/[email protected] - Be sure to make a copy of your current hosts file in case things go south on you, but the site above has a simple batch file that you run to do all this for you and it makes a backup copy of your original hosts file named hosts.mvp.

Ray

·
38,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Administrator
1,128 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,600 Posts
I cleared my DNS cache then went to the Stromtrooper site. Below are the DNS hits that were generated by loading that single page.

api.viglink.com
apis.google.com IPV4
cdn.viglink.com IPV4
cse.google.com IPV4
del.icio.us IPV4
digg.com IPV4
graywarrant.us IPV4
ssl.gstatic.com IPV4
sync.search.spotxchange.com IPV4
technorati.com IPV4
twitter.com IPV4
winhelp2002.mvps.org IPV4
www.flickr.com IPV4
Fuelly - Track and Compare your MPG IPV4
Motorcycle Reviews, Videos, Prices and Used Motorcycles IPV4
HugeDomains.com - RicksTravels.com is for sale (Ricks Travels) IPV4
Recently Added Domains IPV4
For Suzuki V-Strom Enthusiasts IPV4
Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum IPV4
VerticalScope.com IPV4
www.werksparts.com IPV4

·
38,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It has been working okay lately after that one recent glitch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts