StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a K8 Wee with stock size tires. Running on the interstate yesterday, it sure seemed like my bike's speedometer was very optimistic. I have nothing solid to base this on other than the cars on the road passing me continually. The area that I rode in has a speed limit of 75 and with my speedo showing 80 I was with big trucks in the slow lane.

Is there any chart of information that someone has compiled referencing indicated vs. actual speed?

·
Registered
480 Posts
If you own a car GPS and it has the MPH mode stick it on your bike and compare the two readings. My 08 DL650 odometer reads about 6kph faster than actual at 80 kph in relation to the GPS. Seems the bike manufactures err on the side of caution when it comes to bike speedometers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
There are a few threads about this on the forum. Seems like every Strom has a speedo that reads 8% faster than reality.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Australias design rules state a speedo can read 10% plus 4 km/h more than the actual speed but cannot read below the actual speed.
So it stands to reason that the manufacturers build in a bit of leeway.

·
Registered
922 Posts
8% seems to be the number. I just figure 5%, which is easy math to do without pencil and paper. That way I know I'm very close to actual and still on the safe side of the law. Either that or I just go fast as hell because it's fun.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Mine seems to be around 4.7% high using my gps as a reference, and is consistently so from 10mph/16kmh up to an indicated 85mph/137kmh (80-81mph on gps) Haven't checked at higher speeds as I get kinda busy up there 😱. When I don't have the gps mounted, I use the tach: 4500rpm in 6th= 59-60 mph/95-96kmh w/stock gearing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
At around 40 mph the speedo on my K7 Vee reads about 5 mph fast compared to the GPS, and more like 10 mph above 70. There's a percentage in there somewhere.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Me too, 2017 Wee. I figure 10% because it is easy and may put me just barely over the speed limit while approaching the speed gun.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, my 2014 DL1000 VStrom reads about 5 mph high at 60 - 80 mph reading by GPS. So does my BMW K100RS. And my car and every car I've had a GPS in. If they're trying to compensate for the earths rotation they haven't gotten it right.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts