StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using an action packer as a topcase?? If so post some pics for me. I'm looking into putting one larger than the small one on my bike for my long camping trips and would like to see some photo's if anyone has allready done so.

Pheonix

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, i'm not feeling it either. the cost is right but the looks and performance are definatley sub par.

·
Clever Title
515 Posts
I bought one with the thought of using it as a topcase. I keep ammunition in it, instead, and bought a JCW topcase.

I saw one photo someone posted of his action packer setup. He used nylon web straps, laced between the handle and the luggage rack, to attach it to the bike. I think I'm happier with my JCW topcase.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I have on on my Quad, if there is anything I could suggest, if you do not lock down the red handles, instead use a hitch pin or clevis pin. Otherwaise when it gets rough, you will loose the lid.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Action Packer Mounted

I used the Action Packer for a while until I bought a large JC Whitney top box for $47. I like the JC Whitney box better because it secures better and has greater storage capacity than the Action Packer. Free mount came with it, too.

When I used the Action Packer, I purchased a small(18"?) bungy at Harbor Freight for $.99(solid, black rubber), and would hook it through the hole which exists on the axel of the red handles(The first bungy I used was purchased at Wal-mart and is shown in the picture below, but it eventually got overstretched to where it lost much of it's holding power). I ran it underneath the rack which has some 'teeth' on the underside to ensure it doesnt' slide off.

However, I was not completely satisfied with this so I took some nylon cord and threaded it the same way as the bungy cord to act as a safety cord. Finally, I bought a $6 cargo net(Wal-mart again) that I would reverse the two front hooks on to catch at the very front of the tote handles. The middle two hooks went face down and mounded to the rack. The last two went along the edges of the Action Packer handles to offer a third method of support. Had to work a bit to get the third hooks to drop in behind the action packer handles. This also creates a pocket between the front of the action packer and the seat which I could use for storage. Total cost of the above mentioned parts was about $27.

Action Packer Mounted.jpg

Warning: The bottom of that Action Packer can scratch the rack ! I recommend gluing a shower mat to the bottom of the Packer with some super glue(epoxy didn't work well on the smooth plastic; I like Plastic Surgery glue sold a O' Reilly).

These three things together made it decently secure, but not as secure as a good top box & mount. When the price of the JC Whitney box got that competitive, I made the switch.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Works for me, I just need it for hold cooking supplies, food, and beer. I like the fact its not very bulky on the bike. Maybe one of these days if I save my money I might go to JCW and get better one or I can rob a bank and buy some Givi.
Also: I installed mine by removing rubber mat and drilling 4 holes in it and bolting down ;).

Camp2.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
[/URL][/IMG]

I've got one, I'm trying to replace it. It doesn't really allow a passenger to sit with you and it won't hold a helmet, but it's good for groceries and stuff.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bringing this back up in hopes for some help. I picked up an Action Packer last night to mount on the V. I use these for all kinds of things including fuel additives for my F350 so I always need them around.

I would prefer to mount mine instead of strap it on. Any advice would be appreciated. I was looking at building a metal rack from some scrap steel that the packer would sit into and then bolt onto.

I am not really looking for secure I will hopefully be able to pick up a Givi next year. Mostly I just need capacity to store grain for brewing(10-20 lbs) and other brewing supplies. Fuel costs have made shipping cost prohibitive, and until my buddy in the club opens up his store in town I have to drive to the shop near work in SD(20 the opposite direction from home), or the shop in Riverside(35 miles from home). Even once my buddy opens his store I would like to be able to get supplies on the bike instead of the truck at 15mpg. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thinking about action packers - at one point when I traveled I took a action packer with me as checked luggage.

During the trip I was making a late night run across a few southern states to go and see a friend on a limited schedule. I trusted my GPS too much and ended up getting my car stuck between a corn field next to the Mississipi river on a "road" shown as drivable in my GPS, that was mostly sand.

I used my action packer lid as a shovel, then as a traction device to put under the tires to try to get my car out. I made it about 20 feet back this way but eventually gave up since I was still 100+ feet from solid ground. I walked down the road until I had cell service and called a tow truck. His comment was something about how he hadn't seen anyone back there in years other than kids getting drunk partying and offroading.

That action packer still hangs out at my office and has some awesome tire wear marks on the lid... Too bad it doesn't lock closed correctly without zip ties after that incident :^).

·
Registered
44 Posts
I went happy action packer time a while back. I made my own semi-quick disconnect for it and seems to be working out good enough for me. One day I'll pick up a Bestem but this works out fine for now. I actually like the rugged, utilitarian look of it on my yellow wee.

I don't have any pictures and I can't remember the exact parts I bought from Lowe's to mount it, but I got four of those mending straps you find in the door hardware section. I belive they're the 5" ones that are about a buck apiece - I'll have to double check that. I got four bolts, 4 locking nuts and 4 wing nuts - all metric #6 size.

The mending straps have four staggered holes in them. I lock-nutted the bolts to the two inside holes of two of the straps - that forms the two bottom male parts of the clamp. I take those and drop them through the open parts of the rack, then turn them diagonally. Then I place the action packer on top and fish the four holes I drilled in the bottom of the packer down onto the protruding bolts. Then I get inside the packer, put the other two mending straps onto the bolts and snug the wing nuts onto the bolts. Its then snug enough to finely slide the packer around to position it, then I tighten the wing nuts and off I go. Taking it off takes about a minute - zip off the wing nuts, pull off the action packer and rotate out the two bottom clamp thingys.

I also stuck a couple rectangular reflectors on the back - got them at Wally World along with the packer for less than 2 bucks.

I'm considering using this same system on a Bestem case if/when I get it so I can have a clean rack to use without a case on it rather than an oddball mounting system screwed to it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts