StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently completed a cross Mongolia ride. Started in Ulaanbataar and finished in Ulgi. About 1300 miles in total. 40:60 paved to off road. We ended up at the Eagle Festival in Ulgi.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Eagle_Festival

Mongolia is the 18th largest country in the world but is the most sparsely populated. 40% of its 4 million people live in Ulaanbataar. The rest are scattered across the land, living in small towns and villages and out on the vast open lands herding their goats, sheep, cattle, yaks and horses.

The most striking thing about riding there is that there are few paved roads and virtually no gravel roads as we know them. Off pavement roads are mostly 2 track trails across the sparse, desert like terrain. It is quite mountainous with the ranges separated by vast basins. Beautiful in its starkness.

My daughter and son in law joined me which made it doubly fun!! We stayed a few nights in ger (pronounce gear) camps. We think of gers as yurts but yurt is different and more common in the very west and Kazakstan. The rest of the time we stayed in tents that traveled with us. Not exactly a Hilton to Hilton tour.

Here are some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
drrod: Never a problem with posts full of travel pics for me. Thanks for posting, once in a lifetime journey!

HiSPL: One million (1,000,000) Tughriks (MTN) equals almost $375 US dollars (USD)...very stretchy it seems but it seems you'll need a separate tank bag to carry all your money.

This website might help if 'drrod' doesn't respond:
https://www.budgetyourtrip.com/mongolia

·
Premium Member
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Exchange rate as of Sept 23, at a Mongolian bank was 2663T to 1.ooUSD.
Beer was about $2.00usd a bottle. Gas was about $4.00 a gal.
Overall, a fairly inexpensive place to travel but amenities, we are used to, are few and far between.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Wow, what an awesome trip. Once in a lifetime. I take it you rented the bikes there?

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Premium Member
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I take it you rented the bikes there?

Cheers,
Glenn
Yes, we rented bikes. Not your usual bike rental experience though. The bikes were, what could charitably called, used. eg. mine lacked mirrors and there was virtually no piece of plastic that was not damaged (I thought it was perfect....what harm could I do!!), one bike needed its air cleaner serviced the first day because it was so dirty the bike hardly ran, etc.
They seem to have no concept of preventative maintenance so things are fixed on an "as need" basis. Fortunately, one of the guides was a bit of a magician at roadside fixes.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yes, we rented bikes. Not your usual bike rental experience though. The bikes were, what could charitably called, used. eg. mine lacked mirrors and there was virtually no piece of plastic that was not damaged (I thought it was perfect....what harm could I do!!), one bike needed its air cleaner serviced the first day because it was so dirty the bike hardly ran, etc.
They seem to have no concept of preventative maintenance so things are fixed on an "as need" basis. Fortunately, one of the guides was a bit of a magician at roadside fixes.
I saw a Katoom had a charging issue. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I saw a Katoom had a charging issue. ;)
A bad oil leak that they fixed with gasket in a tube which seemed to work fine for the rest of the trip. That bike also had a breakdown when the flexible hose connection between the fuel injection and intake broke. Again, fixed on the side of the road. My SIL rode this bike (a 690) and he loved it. I rode if for a bit and found it quite harsh. Apparently, according to my much better rider SIL, it smoothed out with speed. I much preferred the 800GS.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Looks like a great trip. I hope to head that direction in the future, although I got stuck a week ago in Portugal and had to leave the bike. See what happens in this world next. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts