StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 DL650
I'm wondering if anyone is running just the exhaust with no other mods . Like to know if rideability is hindered and if decel pop is a problem ? Many thanks .....

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
2012 DL650
I'm wondering if anyone is running just the exhaust with no other mods . Like to know if rideability is hindered and if decel pop is a problem ? Many thanks .....
I have no other mods, very few decel pops, generally very clean, and sounds fantastic.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thnx, can you tell if power was affected ? Is the sound irritating at highway speeds for long distances ? Thnx , just trying to learn all I can before spending that kinda cash . Also do you have carbon or Ti ? Thnx , Kevni

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've installed many cat-back exhaust and even header back on a lot of my tuner cars growing up and one thing I'm surprised about is how much an exhaust cost for a bike. It cost the same as if you were purchasing for a car which is going to be more materials... Kinda off-topic but just felt like throwing it out there.. If you purchase, please provide a review!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Don't want to hijack, but do you happen know how much lighter the Akrapovic is versus stock? I think the weight savings is fairly substantial.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Thnx, can you tell if power was affected ? Is the sound irritating at highway speeds for long distances ? Thnx , just trying to learn all I can before spending that kinda cash . Also do you have carbon or Ti ? Thnx , Kevni
I wear earplugs, so don't find it too loud.....if I was going on a multi-day road trip, I might consider putting the plug back in, but for regular day rides, I really like the bark of the pipe without the baffle.

No, can't really tell is power was affected, but it's as much psychological......it "sounds" faster, so maybe it is, LOL.

I have the carbon:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Akropovic is on !

Installed my new carbon Akropovic and I can tell ya its Sweet ! The Install went smooth and after removing the db killer the pipe is exactly what I want . This pipe is no louder while cruising than stock pipe but sounds just like you want when you want it !! I let it idle for a bit on first start to allow the FI to adjust and the bike has absolutely no rideability issues ! Yep its a lot of money but it makes the bike way cooler than stock !

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
This pipe is no louder while cruising than stock pipe but sounds just like you want when you want it !!
Well, I will disagree there, it's louder for sure, but if you wear really good ear plugs, it's no issue whatsoever.

If it under load, ie, going up a hill, the noise is more so, but when on level ground, just much deeper than stock.

With the db killer, which I removed right after getting the bike, the sound is quite reasonable everywhere, just enough bark to let people know you mean business, haha.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At 70 mph with a full face helmet and no db killer (or earplugs) the exhaust sound is no more noticeable than stock .

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I'm about to pull the trigger on the Ti exhaust.

Where are the sound clips? :confused: You tube preferably.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Granted I wear quality helmets , a shoei Quest at the moment but I will never wear earplugs since they bug the hell out of me and you need to be aware of your surrounding (traffic , semis etc ) . I suppose the point of my post is for those who worry about noise with this pipe have no need to worry unless they crave the Singer Sewing Machine sound . I even had a trusted friend ride the bike down the road for me to confirm the sound was just as sweet off the bike as it is on it !

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have had this pipe on the bike for almost a year now. I ran it without the DB killer until this weekend. Went to ride a GSX1250FA and thought, wow, it is nice a quiet, so put the DB killer back in, and really like the sound now as well. I am sure in a few months I will want to take it out again. Point being, you can adjust it to suite your preference, even if that changes :thumbup:

·
Registered
187 Posts
On that same line of questions has anyone installed this on the Adventue model? I'm thinking there may be a space interference issue with the rear cross over bar.
Not trying to hijack, just trying to fill in the blanks for both models.

·
Vendor
5,011 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just got off a lenghty ride with the pipe and I noticed my chain noise isnt as loud due to the tone of the pipe , so I guess it is a little louder . :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Hi, I have the sound clip embedded in this post,

http://www.stromtrooper.com/sv-racing-parts/67985-2004-2012-dl650-akrapovic-slip-exhausts-4.html

Check it out, I think you will like it,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair
That's pretty weak. Doesn't even go over 4k rpm's. I wanna hear a WOT pass at 120 mph! :yesnod:

Anyway, do you still have a Ti system available? How many different ways can you pay the $725.00? I noticed the pipe is long and sticks out the back of the bike a lot more than the stocker.

Save one for me, I'm gunna get one here soon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts