StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my 650 two weeks ago and have been riding everyday, I really took my time deciding to find the best bike and reading all the reviews etc the Strom seemed to be the best all round ride? I have been riding everyday to work 65k each way and just getting used to the gearing and throwing it around the corners but now can hardly move so thinking of trading for a comfortable cruiser? anyone else had the same problems? thanks.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Where do you hurt? Maybe you are being too aggressive. A cruiser may force you to take corners slower as the lean angle available is more limited. If the problem is buffeting or the seat, there are fixes for that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the fast help? I should mention that I really took my time buying and sat on nearly everybike out there and bought a Strom because of all the good feedback from the forums etc. I am an old guy that has just got back into riding after 30 years, The bike is also stock. I have terrrible buffeting also. I have been reading about the mods and guess I should get a larger screen and a softer seat but do not want to do all that and waste money if I am too old to ride? I should also mention that my wrist and hands go a bit numb also.

·
38,048 Posts
If the problem is arthritis, there isn't a lot you can do with bike modifications. You may want to take to a doctor. I'm 65 years old myself. You can see where you fit in the age spread of people here at http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1704
There are many factors involved, motivation, health, money and time for modifications etc.. Some people have an exercise program just so they can keep riding while others will stop riding because it isn't fun any more. It's ultimately you decision but help is here if you want to try things. Keep squeezing the handlebars too hard and you can feel bad all over your upper body for example.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would say give is some more time. When you get to be an old guy it takes longer to get everything in shape for a specific bike....Especially after you have been off bikes alltogether for a while.

When I got off a cruiser and onto an ST (slightly forward position similar to the STrom) it took a couple of months for my 24 pack abs to get used to carrying part of the load. Once trained to it, though, it is really the way to go...

Oh, and there is 'Old Guy Candy'. I like Tylenol, others prefer Bayer or Alleve or multiple other things. Not after every night of riding, yet, but after many....

·
38,048 Posts
:mrgreen:
I don't need analgesics to ride very often but I take something before I do major work on the bike and for a couple of days afterward. There are times when my knees or left hand and wrist act up. As I write this, I'm using the bionic wolf avatar and I do have enough metal in my left hand and wrist to set off airport detectors.

·
Registered
22,265 Posts
I picked up my 650 two weeks ago and have been riding everyday, I really took my time deciding to find the best bike and reading all the reviews etc the Strom seemed to be the best all round ride? I have been riding everyday to work 65k each way and just getting used to the gearing and throwing it around the corners but now can hardly move so thinking of trading for a comfortable cruiser? anyone else had the same problems? thanks.

Thanks for the fast help? I should mention that I really took my time buying and sat on nearly everybike out there and bought a Strom because of all the good feedback from the forums etc. I am an old guy that has just got back into riding after 30 years, The bike is also stock. I have terrrible buffeting also. I have been reading about the mods and guess I should get a larger screen and a softer seat but do not want to do all that and waste money if I am too old to ride? I should also mention that my wrist and hands go a bit numb also.
sounds to me like you need to loosen up and relax a bit, I think your hangin on too tight

would a cruiser be more comfortable, for short rides maybe, over the long haul, the V-strom is better ergonomicly, you feet are underneath you, you sit slightly canted forward, some of your body weight is supported by your arms
on the cruiser, your feet are forward, they support no body weight, you sit upright, and do not transfer weight to your arms either, your spine takes 100% of weight and bumps

a few minutes of exercises, crunches, half sits, stretches, etc will help as well

you can't go wrong with a Madstad bracket for your windscreen, you may or may not want a larger windscreen, I use the stock winscreen in the summer and have a larger one for winter

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I had a 25 year riding gap before picking up a Vee in April this year for my 120mi/day commute. I'm 52, carrying a bit more weight than I would like. I do make a habit of stretching my back everyday, run 4-5 days a week and mountain bike at least once a week. Still some days I feel stiff, but overall I'm fine with the bike. I think the morning yoga stretch is the key for me..

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Wrist and hand issues can be fixed with bar risers/barbacks. Buffeting fixed with screens, brackets, laminar lips, etc. Lots of seat options. One will fit your butt.

At 60, I take a lot of ibuprofin when the other aches and pains get bad.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
If you're new to riding after so many years, expect and count on your body being waaay too tense for a while too. Happened to me, took me several thousand miles before I really got to relax in the saddle. You have to really tell yourself to relax your muscles, back, arms, even your hands.

Next time you ride, very consciously work on relaxing and not gripping hard or stiffening up. Do it, and see if you notice a difference when you get off the bike.

I'd bet the majority of your issue is just that.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
not good for your liver or kidneys. I have to recommend that you take milk thistle as well
Thanks, doc. :shock: Most of the time, I'm way under recommended doses..

Unfortunately, I'm up to date with all liver and kidney function checks as well as CT scans within the last year, one a couple of days before I saw you last week. All tests show no trouble.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I had issues with my wee, Russell day long seat, up and back risers, Grip puppies and Givi windscreen with a madsted all helped alot and joining a gym last year really helped!!! Like others said...relax... I just turned 60 btw..eek^&$#
Happy motoring

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all for the advice, love riding it so guess I will invest in a seat, windshield etc and learn to relax a bit ( have to change the windshield because of the teeth marks)???

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Moontune didn't catch your age. Still jogging and lifting every other day at 61. Generally on the Strom four to five days per week, (also do some off roading on a KLR). Have finally accepted daily aches and pains as part of the aging process. For me the advantages outweigh the disadvantanges. You have probably heard the cliche " you don't quit riding because you get old, you get old when you quit riding". Hope you find what works for you. :thumbup1:

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
I am in my 40's and get a certain amount of soreness in different areas. Below are a few things that have helped me.

Daily execise. The lower back seems to hold up longer on rides when I am on an execise routine.

GIVI windshield and Madstad cut the buffeting way down for me - at least to an acceptable level....and I have a loud helmet.

Forward foot pegs for an occassional stretch and change of position. This really only helps me get a few more miles to the next exit or so when my body is telling me it's time to stretch, but it is a nice option.

Cramp Buster for long rides (haven't opened the package yet, so can't comment). Really hoping for some help with my throttle hand.

Riding pants and riding shorts underneath with rear padding. This was key on the stock seat. I found riding in jeans alone on the stock seat would cause soreness within 30 - 45 minutes. I am now good for an hour to two hours before stopping. I prefer to stop every hour though.

Seepskin seat cover with 1/2" pad. Helpful, but clearly not enough since I am considering the item below.

The big one is the seat. I am still on the stocker because I want to buy the Russell and saving my money. I really feel this will be the final piece of the puzzle. I really don't expect to get more than a couple of hours more riding time per day on the Russell, because my a$$ gets sore in my office chair at half day and in my truck after a few hours. I would not expect any motorcycle seat to give me 6 - 8 hours of riding time in a day. Think that is unrealistic for me and besides other parts of me would start hurting by then. I am a 300 mile per day rider maximum.

Bar up and back risers. I like being upright.

Jim

·
Registered
59 Posts
Moontune, I think you are on the right track with the decision to keep riding the 'Strom and also to modify a few things to make it fit better.I'm 54 and have more aches etc than I did when I last rode a street bike (been riding some dirt and atv's for the last 18 years but hardly any road miles).It's a different muscle set in use and like the others said it takes time to retrain the ol' bones. My son just bought a nice cruiser and after 50 miles on it I sure am glad I have a DL650....the cruiser position is great for a short time but turns ugly very quickly for me.
Read all you can here about windshelds,seats,riding positions and anything else that is uncomfortable and then spend the bucks if you can to make the machine fit you.I think you will be glad you did.

Terry

·
Registered
313 Posts
Be careful if you switch to a more "comfortable cruiser". I returned to biking in 04 after a 12 year absence from riding.I purchased a new 1500 Intruder thinking it would be comfy.I have arthritis and the 2 lower disks in my back are deteriorated.(i am 54)I suffered with that bike until last year when i got rid of it and purchased a WeeStrom after riding one the year before and realizing that ergonomically it was the bike for me. As previously mentioned the seating position on a cruiser puts a lot of stress on your lower back as well as the much harsher suspension(on the Intruder). The "standard" seating position on the Strom is a lot more comfortable,at least for me.And something i realized after getting the Wee was it did not tire me out after a long day in the saddle.Big difference handling 450lbs as opposed to 800.And if you like to get off the" beaten trail",rough back roads,and unpaved roads as i do you aren't going there on a cruiser.
I had to install risers,windshield ,madstad,larger grips and a Russel seat( as well as many other farkels)and now the bike is as good as it gets for me.
Don't get me wrong i still have my aches and pains but the Wee kept me in the game!!
You know what they say .... "no pain no gain"
Making some changes to the Strom might be cheaper than investing in another bike that could possibly be harder on you than the Strom.
Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
22,265 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I would venture to say it is your riding position. I am 54 and have ridden a long time and a lot of bikes. Many cruiser riders have the worst body position possible. They learn to sit low, on the 26" HD seats extend their arms high and use highways pegs. They wind up with a sore lower back from the strain and painful shoulders and necks. Try this from the LD riding world, "Sit up and beg" position. Put the balls of your feet on the pegs. Tilt your torso forward and put your thighs in the grooves of the tank. Grip the tank a bit with your thighs. Now use your thigh muscles as shock absorbers and almost lay a bit of your upper body on the tank. If done right you will feel almost no weight on your arms and your wrists will be relaxed. I feel very little of my rear pushing hard on the seat. At first your thighs will get tired , but after awhile you will learn to relax and the pain will go away. The legs are strong and hold the body up all day and can handle the load. The difference too is remembering you are riding on the bike not in the bike.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts