Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one is not only for Suzuki, but for all motorcycle manufacturers.

PLEASE!!! Why can't we have an accurate speedometer?!?! :?:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I want an accurate speedometer too. A 10% error is simply ridiculous. Even a speedo that read only 1% or 2% high would be a great improvement. But I'd prefer it to be right on the mark.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10% based on what, say at 70 the difference is 3% so that is just over 2MPH, then your car is 2 %, so thats 4, , remember digital does not mean it is more accurate, just dispalyed differently.

AATECH

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems like it would be simple, considering the speedo signal is ELECTRONIC instead of gear driven. This ratio is really FUBAR when the front gear is changed, which by the way made a HUGE difference. (down 1 tooth)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AATECH said:
10% based on what, say at 70 the difference is 3% so that is just over 2MPH, then your car is 2 %, so thats 4, , remember digital does not mean it is more accurate, just dispalyed differently.

AATECH
10% on radar not next to a car going the same speed, but the odo is dead on.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
speeo

I haven't checked...am I going 10% faster than it is reading, or 10% slower? I'm guessing maybe slower?

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Slower for sure. I've read several reviews through the links on this sight that break down the actual vs. shown mph in 10 mile increments. Basically the speedo reads about 10% faster than actual at hwy speeds and accuracy decreases as speed increases but improves at slower speeds.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Suzuki's failure to produce a new vehicle with a speedometer that has an accuracy level of more than 5% may make my ownership of it in this state illegal. They need to issue a recall on all of their models to fix this problem. I also have a GPS on my bike, but dammit - I didn't pay for an inaccurate speedometer. Based on GPS readings, the brand new weestroms speedo is approximately 8% optimistic. At this day in age, 1% would be barely acceptable.

Who is up for a class action lawsuit?

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Ride more and worry less :roll:

true4ster said:
I also have a GPS on my bike, but dammit - I didn't pay for an inaccurate speedometer. Based on GPS readings, the brand new weestroms speedo is approximately 8% optimistic. At this day in age, 1% would be barely acceptable.

·
Registered
184 Posts
true4ster said:
The acceptable spec is -0%/+10% by motor vehicle safety standards. This means, by law, it can't read low. Throw in some mfg tolerances and allowance for tire circumference variation and they have to make it read slightly higher on average to be sure they'll never read low.

Could they do better than the 5-7% high that is average for most Japanese speedos? Probably yes. But a class action lawsuit?

- Mark

·
Registered
155 Posts
The state of Victoria, Australia bought in a zero tolerance speeding law a little while back (for revenue raising of course). That means you can't be even be 1 kmh over the speed limit without being booked. All other states have around a 5-10% allowance at 100 kmh.

Victoria doesn't take the excuse that your speedo cannot be accurate to 1kmh and states it is up to you to drive under the speed limit to make sure you don't go over because of an inaccurate speedo.

So whenever I ride to Victoria (I have family there) I am sort of glad the Strom reads 8% high.

·
Registered
194 Posts
When keeping up with traffic it would be nice to know if you are truly speeding or not. Then again-When I think I am going the speed limit and folks are passing like crazy it would be nice to know I am not backing up traffic and causing folks to get grumpy when all others are truly going the speed limit. I've seen bits out there that "fix" the issue, but from the factory I tend to believe the speedo should be spot on.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
CecilSaxon said:
When keeping up with traffic it would be nice to know if you are truly speeding or not. Then again-When I think I am going the speed limit and folks are passing like crazy it would be nice to know I am not backing up traffic and causing folks to get grumpy when all others are truly going the speed limit. I've seen bits out there that "fix" the issue, but from the factory I tend to believe the speedo should be spot on.
AMEN!! I hate not knowing how fast I am actually going.

·
Registered
23 Posts
speedo is actually accurate!

OK Suzuki here's my perspective, the speedo is actually working fine, as the same speed gives the same reading each time. The problem is that you put the little numbers in the wrong places. This is my third strom and I can't believe that you haven't fixed the problem yet! How expensive could it be, its not like you have to redesign the speedo. Why do you keep ordering/making the same inaccurate plate. This should be a dealer recall, and you should supply different face plates and keep a LOT of faithful buyers happy. I liken it to a gun on which the scope/sites are not set correctly, but it still shoots well (small groups). If you don't do something I may have to paint some numbers on top of the speedo glass to know how fast I am actually going. One would think that a speedo would be standard equipment and not an afermarket farkle as it seems to be here! Matt

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just buy racertb's face plate, take 10-20 minutes to install it and worry no more... The manufacturers have to err on the side of caution. They ALL are reading high.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Just buy racertb's face plate, take 10-20 minutes to install it and worry no more... The manufacturers have to err on the side of caution. They ALL are reading high.
This is the closest I've seen to someone getting the thought right.

Motorcycle speedometers HAVE to read high by law. Some jurisdictions (I don't know if they are countries, states, whatever) have specific laws that speedometers CANNOT read low. They can read up to 10% high but they can read 0% low.

Speedometers calculate speed based on the diameter of the tire. Doesn't matter if the pickup is on the tire or on the gearbox it still calculates based on the known diameter of the tire. When a motorcycle goes into a corner it leans, and that changes the radius of rotation, and effectively shortens the length of one rotation of the tire. Look at the difference in distance between the hub and the bottom center of the tire and the distance between the hub and the edge of the wear mark on the side of your tires.

If motorcycle speedometers read correctly when straight up they would read low in corners. That is not allowed.

BTW, this thread was started nearly 4 years ago. That's how long people have been complaining about something that can't be fixed by law.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hmm strange.. I find that my Vstrom is alot more accurate than my Burgman.
I have noticed it has been off by 3mph MAX matched with GPS speed on a straight highway.

I'm so used to my 10% high on my Burgman I go about 15-20mph higher than what the speed limit is to make up for it and have the leeway 10.
Now I have to actually get used to going 75 in the 65 zone for the free 10mph buffer instead of 83-88 :rolleyes1:
So hard to do.. :( :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Absolutely, this doesn't just apply to motorcycles. Unfortunately with the "sue everyone because it’s their fault not mine" mentality it has forced all vehicle manufactures to provide a buffer.

Sad sad.. My two cents anyway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts