StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2013 DL650 a couple weeks ago, and I'm worried, because I keep buying stuff that i can't put on it yet because my bike is at my "other" house that I won't be at for a few weeks.
Well, the crap is accumulating and here's my list so far...
  • Moose Racing -4" screen (Original owner broke the stock screen. I need something for looks, although without a screen the bike works fine for me).
  • Weld86 Skid Plate (I hate the oil filter just hanging out like that)
  • Suzuki OEM Crash Bars (a little extra drop protection)
  • Rear axle Bobbins (I have a Pit-Bull stand)
  • SW-Motech Evo quick lock tank bag ring (I already have a tank bag for my other Suzi)
  • ebay Radiator Guard (just seems like a good idea. I've put them on almost all of my water cooled bikes)
  • Suzuki OEM Low Seat (Stock seems just a tad high to me, but comfortable enough)
  • Nep Throttle Lock (I need to be able to rest my throttle hand every now and then)
I still might buy in the not-too-distant future...
  • Shorai or Anti-Gravity LiFePo battery (Who couldn't afford to loose 7 pounds?)
  • BarkBuster hand guards (looks like a good idea, especially for any off road).
I hope I'm getting close to the end of what I need. It's going to eat into too much of my actual riding time as it is.
馃檮

Registered
Moose Racing -4" screen (Original owner broke the stock screen. I need something for looks, although without a screen the bike works fine for me).
I bought the Moose Racing Shorty screen with a dark tint. Love It!!! I could never adjust the OE screen to eliminate buffeting. 2012 V1000
Two Brothers 01.JPG

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I fought the buffeting on my first (2006) DL650. That's why I went with the shorty. And nice pic! I love the way it looks!

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, got a few things installed yesterday. Moose Racing Screen, Weld86 Skid Plate, Lower Seat.
Bike feels good.
I started to install this Radiator Guard, but ran into problems. It's wide enough, that it won't fit between the plastics that cover the edges of the radiator. Anyone got any suggestions on how to install it? I really didn't want to remove all of the plastics just to install the guard, but looks like that might be how it is? Anyway, any suggestions would be helpful.

Registered
Okay, got a few things installed yesterday. Moose Racing Screen, Weld86 Skid Plate, Lower Seat.
Bike feels good.
I started to install this Radiator Guard, but ran into problems. It's wide enough, that it won't fit between the plastics that cover the edges of the radiator. Anyone got any suggestions on how to install it? I really didn't want to remove all of the plastics just to install the guard, but looks like that might be how it is? Anyway, any suggestions would be helpful.
There are 2 plastic pieces on the sides of the radiator 3 screws each, try removing them.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
There are 2 plastic pieces on the sides of the radiator 3 screws each, try removing them.
Okay, i think I saw two of the three. I removed the two on one side but the plastic piece wouldn't move and it looks like its constrained by the lower fairing. Where are the 3 screws, and is there a trick once they are removed? Does the lower fairing have to come off too?

Registered
Okay, i think I saw two of the three. I removed the two on one side but the plastic piece wouldn't move and it looks like its constrained by the lower fairing. Where are the 3 screws, and is there a trick once they are removed? Does the lower fairing have to come off too?
No the lower fairing does not have to come off. The piece will be loose enought with the 3 screws removed to remove. Picture of the 3 screws location.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks okidave! I go everything put on today (except Nep CC4 - I need new grips).
parts_on.jpg

Registered
When you change oil with the Weld 86 plate in place just put a big pan underneath. It's not too messy. Then just a couple blue shop paper towels and the spilled stuff cleans up nice. It keeps the powder coating from rusting too.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tip. I was wondering if it would be easier to remove, or just cleanup after. I also added some sound deadening material to the top side so I wouldn't get any engine resonance from it. It works great.

Registered
Interesting about sound deadening. I never noticed cus I wear earplugs. Even with a sidecar on my BMW I wasn't put off by the reflected sound. Mounting through the engine like the Weld 86 does I wouldn't expect to vibrate too much.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Well, since I didn't ride it with the Weld86 and no damping, I can't talk from experience, but seems like I saw somewhere that someone complained about the extra motor noise because of it, so I thought it would be a good idea. It definitely made a difference in resonance when just hitting it and hearing it ring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts