StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming home from work today I was in an accident with my Wee. Everyone is okay with no injuries. I'm just a little sore a few hours later.

The damage to the bike is mostly cosmetic but the factory crash bars took most of the force and will need to be replaced. They cracked at the mounting points and are severly bent. Any suggestions on replacements? I wasn't sure if anyone had first hand experience hard testing their own crash bars. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm glad you're okay and here to ask about parts. As long as we can come away from a get-off relatively intact, they make new bikes and new bike parts every day. I hope you're insured and perhaps a check with the insurance company will answer some of the questions. Insurance companies have replaced a few bikes of mine that I thought were easily repairable. It seems they tend to look at things from a different point of view, with repair liabilities and such. And I've always found bike shopping more fun than parts shopping.

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
Hopefully you are good after a couple days of observation. The Insurance should cover the damage if you have full coverage.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Glad it wasnt a serious accident.
I recently had a low side slide and walked away with just some scratches on my Outback Motortek crash bars. They held up very well. The left side is now about a 1/2" closer to my tank than the right, but they held up well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I recently had a low side slide and walked away with just some scratches on my Outback Motortek crash bars. They held up very well. The left side is now about a 1/2" closer to my tank than the right, but they held up well.
Thank you for the recommendation. I was considering getting theirs. I talked to someone from there at the end of April about a skid plate but I didn't pull the trigger on it yet. I'm glad they worked for you

·
Registered
112 Posts
OP glad you are okay.

You can probably pull it back out away from the tank slightly by bracing the bike on the opposite side in a few places and putting a rachet strap on the bar and cranking it back out. I don't think it would really fatigue the metal much. Or drop it on the other side so they match :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Don't want to hijack this thread, but I've been wondering lately if frame sliders might be better than the stock crash bars for 99% pavement riding.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Coming home from work today I was in an accident with my Wee. Everyone is okay with no injuries. I'm just a little sore a few hours later.

The damage to the bike is mostly cosmetic but the factory crash bars took most of the force and will need to be replaced. They cracked at the mounting points and are severly bent. Any suggestions on replacements? I wasn't sure if anyone had first hand experience hard testing their own crash bars. Thank you for your help.
Good to know you came through okay.
However, a little sore is a little injured.
What happened? It would be good to share this as a learning thing for us all.

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts
Don't want to hijack this thread, but I've been wondering lately if frame sliders might be better than the stock crash bars for 99% pavement riding.
I've got both on mine. They have both paid for themselves.

(I like to crash on a variety of surfaces.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
What happened? It would be good to share this as a learning thing for us all.[/QUOTE]

It was my mistake. After comjng a long hill on a busy road, I was looking around at all the cross and on coming traffic there was a stopped car waiting to make a left. I didnt see see her until it as too late. I hit her rear passenger side bumper and tail light. Neither of was hurt and I'm doing fine now.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
It was my mistake. After comjng a long hill on a busy road, I was looking around at all the cross and on coming traffic there was a stopped car waiting to make a left. I didnt see see her until it as too late. I hit her rear passenger side bumper and tail light. Neither of was hurt and I'm doing fine now.[/QUOTE]

Good man!
These things can and will happen. Commuting home just yesterday I was blocked from sight of an oncoming left turning vehicle. The van blocking me from sight moved on and the vehicle turning left could have stepped on it and rammed me. Thankfully, did not. But I should have been in a better defensive position. I was distracted.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Glad to hear everyone is ok.

I have Givi bars (with detachable storage and highway pegs on them) on my 2015 DL650 and have gone down hard offroad on heavily cobbled trail/hit a large tree (thanks ABS) and I've gone down hard on my side at about 35mph on asphalt. No bar damage from the offroad and just scrapes from the asphalt--didn't bend, protected everything else (including my leg--shoulder took a hit but just bruised and sore).

I also have frame sliders, but haven't put them on yet. Anyone know where they mount/have experience with them on on a 12-16 650?

·
Registered
368 Posts
My OEM crash bars busted on a very gentle lay down. Weld came apart. No confidence in those.
Bought T-Rex Racing bars and they seem to be extremely beefy. Might look at them while you are shopping.

Always something to learn from a fall or incident like this. Thanks for sharing it!

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts
It was my mistake. After comjng a long hill on a busy road, I was looking around at all the cross and on coming traffic there was a stopped car waiting to make a left. I didnt see see her until it as too late. I hit her rear passenger side bumper and tail light. Neither of was hurt and I'm doing fine now.[/QUOTE]

I've had this exact same accident. I was following a cube van that never slowed down and was blocking my view of the stopped car ahead of it waiting to turn left. He went around on the right at the last second. I hit the stopped car with the left pannier. Didn't quite make a wide enough swerve.

My fault for not paying attention on a lazy wide road. I was looking at a stupid rock arrangement someone had assembled on their front lawn, not expecting a stopped car in front of me.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I have Givi's on my Wee, that bike has been dumped plenty of times, high and low speeds with the bars bending back and into the fairing.

Each time I would secure the bike between 2 sturdy poles and use a ratchet strap to pull the bars back out, they seem to bend in easier than they bend out "LOL"

None of the welds have ever let go, for me most of the bending has happened at the mounting plates.

By leaving them on the bike while I straighten then I know they will still fit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It was my mistake. After comjng a long hill on a busy road, I was looking around at all the cross and on coming traffic there was a stopped car waiting to make a left. I didnt see see her until it as too late. I hit her rear passenger side bumper and tail light. Neither of was hurt and I'm doing fine now.
I've had this exact same accident. I was following a cube van that never slowed down and was blocking my view of the stopped car ahead of it waiting to turn left. He went around on the right at the last second. I hit the stopped car with the left pannier. Didn't quite make a wide enough swerve.

My fault for not paying attention on a lazy wide road. I was looking at a stupid rock arrangement someone had assembled on their front lawn, not expecting a stopped car in front of me.[/QUOTE]

So glad to hear you are ok.
Thread hijack, sorry in advance. I ride with my wife and son with coms, all on our own bikes. They are forever commenting about things they see way off the actual road. I'm always wondering to myself how they can be paying attention to the road and see all this crap I seem to miss because I'm watching in front of me. The bright side is we are always warning each other of possible threats we see.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts