StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Suzuki including heated grips and PIAA lights as "factory" acessories, does anyone know if they included some places in the wiring harness to plug these in? Or do they require leads back to the battery?

If they are "plug n play" i hope the aftermarket provides some other tools that can use these.

Thanks

TRM on the Northside of SA

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I got right up to removing the tank trying to locate said harness but did not find it. Finally hardwired the new Zumo sistering up to the aux plug on the dash. My heated grips are Oxfords. Along with a great product and the right price, they come already to simply connect right to the battery.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are there leads for accessory lights as well as heated grips? Are the installation guide for the grips out on the internet?

I didn't see anything obvious without removing the plastic, so I had a feeling I'd have to pull some plastic to see whats there. I'm really just curious as I'm working on my plans for adding more stuff.

Thanks, TRM

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
:
Yes factory leads are there but you pretty well have to remove tank. Have installed factory grips using these not easy to find.
So LM. You have these leads? Love to see a pic of that. I pulled the tank, undid the rad and pulled it down and still found nothing. Went thru this with my Stelvio. Why do they do this. So they can laugh about it at lunchbreak?:headbang:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sorry no pics. but the leads are there tucked into the loom. They don't make them obvious probably only wanting deader installs. My dealers tech told me where to look. Only seen leads for the factory grips. Good luck

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The connector is normally taped to the wiring harness. There might only be a lump visible.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
100 gold Doubloons to the first to discover them. :green_lol:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So if I go with Suzuki lights or a kit from PIAA, Touratech, SW-mo, etc. I'm pretty much on my own? That may not be so bad, that way I don't really have to wait, and my last bike used the PIAA switch off the battery that worked fine.

I hate to spend almost $300 just for heated grips, but as a wiring dummy anything I can do to avoid cutting into the harness could be valuable. Luckily, I've got many months before the idea of 'heated' anything sounds good.

Appreciate the feedback. If anyone feels like doing a pictorial or video of a tank removal for grips (or otherwise), it would also be appreciated!

TRM

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Have u not checked out the Oxfords? Far from $300. And installation for dummies.:thumbup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
It does not mount up, but a small piece of aluminum plate and you can fab it up quickly.

I installed mine about a month ago and used a few times since.

·
Registered
25 Posts

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-UYI4MblBfAM/U5-OlbLe1hI/AAAAAAAAAXY/BHGSf8vIhoQ/w1076-h705-no/IMG_20140616_174039862.jpg[/url]

I used the hardware as provided by Oxford and their mount as a template. A 6x4" piece of aluminum is more than enough. Just trace their mount and make an extension, then bend as required. I made a mock-up with part of a cardboard box first. I hope this helps.
Mike

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Stuck mine to the left side dash. Bit of a reach but no bother. Nother plus on these is they will turn themselves off.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was thinking about adding a Fuze Block (or similar solution), and was looking under the seat at the wiring to the tail light. There is a separate white connector outside the wiring loom, i pulled it apart and all the rear lights still worked. Anyone know what they are for? Or if there is a way to put a connector in between these connectors to get a switched source?

·
38,103 Posts
You want a brown or gray wire for the tail light hot but it will also be live when the ignition is in park. An orange wire with a green stripe will be live only when the ignition is on. The rear brake light switch is usually a good place to look for an O/G wire. Suzuki is very loyal to their wiring colors so I would be surprised if the Vee2 was any different. That connector you found is likely used to put the bike in dealer mode if it has a white/red and a black/white wire like the other models do.

FAQ: Dealer Mode & FI Error Codes

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I was thinking about adding a Fuze Block (or similar solution), and was looking under the seat at the wiring to the tail light. There is a separate white connector outside the wiring loom, i pulled it apart and all the rear lights still worked. Anyone know what they are for? Or if there is a way to put a connector in between these connectors to get a switched source?
The white wire is likely the license plate bulb hot As for the rest of the wires, I posted this last month:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000a-2014/190585-tail-light-brake-rear-turn-signal-wiring.html

·
38,103 Posts
He said white connector, not white wire.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts