StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a first time Wee owner and have been looking at all the different ways people customize their bikes and am interested in the idea of an accessory shelf. Who makes these shelves and are they stable enough to mount a GPS? What else have people mounted on these? It seems like a pretty good idea to add this so any help to get this done would be appreciated!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a pat walsh designs shelf on my 650 and think it is one of the top accessories on my bike. I have a power outlet box plus a Ram mount on it for either my XM radio or GPS, also velco my ez pass on it. I found it freed up the handle bars for space. It goes for about $35 but you could make your own it you have the talent for it. John

·
Registered
237 Posts
I velcroed my WarmnSafe Heat-troller to mine. Also, just the fact that you have it on your bike prevents the sun from melting your dash, which has been a problem for a few folks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll check out the Pat Walsh one and see if I can get one soon. Thanks for the info! Sounds like they are a pretty useful add-on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's a link to another option: Auxiliary Shelves - AdventureTech, LLC.

I haven't bought one yet but am leaning towards going this route.
I was just on their site looking at this one. It looks nice and a great place to add outlets but I don't think it is meant to hold bigger things like a GPS. I also saw the PWD Strombone which looks neat. It might not have the versatility the shelf does but seems to hold a GPS perfectly. Decisions....

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was just on their site looking at this one. It looks nice and a great place to add outlets but I don't think it is meant to hold bigger things like a GPS. I also saw the PWD Strombone which looks neat. It might not have the versatility the shelf does but seems to hold a GPS perfectly. Decisions....
Did you take a look at the Over-the-Dash GPS Mount: Over the Dash GPS Mounts - AdventureTech, LLC.?

·
Registered
15,840 Posts
I saw pics of the shelves on here and went out to the garage and made one of my own.
Works Keen-O.
I'm cursed being a DIY-er!

·
Registered
88 Posts
How difficult was it? Do you need any special tools?
Generally, you wont need special tools for a job like this...just talent (i.e. if you know how to break metal without a break). If you are already planning the build in your head, you probably have it. If not, ask a friend for help, it should not be too difficult to fab up (it's about a 6-pack job here...).

·
Registered
15,840 Posts
"How difficult was it? Do you need any special tools?"

Well, having some alunimum plate laying around and a skill saw and a piece of extruded right angle alunimim for a support and cans of bits and pieces and nuts and bolts helps.
I even had some edging rubber to give it a more finished look, Hides an irregular saw cut.
BBQ black paint and it's perfect.

The extruded right angle piece lets you use a thinner piece of plate for the shelf by strengthening it. It can vibrate like crazy on bumpy roads and a heavy GPS or whatever mounted there could bend a flimsy shelf.
I'd post a pic but I don't digital.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"How difficult was it? Do you need any special tools?"

Well, having some alunimum plate laying around and a skill saw and a piece of extruded right angle alunimim for a support and cans of bits and pieces and nuts and bolts helps.
I even had some edging rubber to give it a more finished look, Hides an irregular saw cut.
BBQ black paint and it's perfect.

The extruded right angle piece lets you use a thinner piece of plate for the shelf by strengthening it. It can vibrate like crazy on bumpy roads and a heavy GPS or whatever mounted there could bend a flimsy shelf.
I'd post a pic but I don't digital.
My head is spinning a bit just from reading thishttp://www.stromtrooper.com/images/moresmilies/new_confused2.gif

Maybe it's best if I just buy it. http://www.stromtrooper.com/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

1 - 14 of 14 Posts