StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's time to start tricking out my Wee with all the goodies I have purchased. Since some are power dependant I have decided to add the "Electrical Connections Power Distribution Plate" that I purchased through A Vicious Cycle, an online store in Canada.

Electrical Connection accessory power distribution plate DL650/1000

Has anybody used this item, and can they you provide pic's of your setup?
The instructions are fairly straight forward, but if anybody has experiance with this iitem I'd like to see it.
Thanks

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
A couple of thoughts from the picture--
--It looks like the terminals are exposed. You might jury-rig some cover out of non-conductive material (plastic box, etc.) to avoid tools & stuff causing shorts if they touch terminals and the frame.
--It doesn't seem to have a negative bus. You need a way to run the negative side of each circuit back to the battery, or to a big wire connected to the battery negative terminal. Don't ground to the frame on our bikes with their steel & aluminum frames.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does mention in the installation instructions to "Connect the black wire from the relay to a suitable ground. We have supplied a ring terminal an T-Tap for this" I'll have to determine what a suitable ground is. Does anyone know of a good online source for the shop manual for the Wee? My dealer said he could order one in, but wasn't sure of wait time and cost.
I had never heard of a T-Tap before, and even though they provide instructions on it's use, I am still a little unclear about it's use.
Will do some more research about the system.

The plastic box is a good idea that I hadn't considered. I have opened the package but have not taken it out to the bike to see where it all fits. There may be some room just forward of the battery, just above where all the fuses are. I'll have to see this weekend.
It is supposed to be crummy weather this weekend, so it is a good chance for me to bring both the Wee and my wife's S40 into the shed to add all the goodies we bought.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Should have plenty of room to mount the unit and relay there:

For your relay ground, you need to eventually get it connected to a common ground with the battery. You need to either run evrey ground wire right to the neg bat terminal, or run a larger wire from the neg bat terminal out to a "ground block". Even something small like thos could work for a ground block:

Use approriate size wiring, solid connectors, and solder if you can...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
STROMTECH: Doh! Wish I had seen that before I ordered the part I have. Oh well.... I did some more research on this system and have basically found what I need.

J2Jonner: Thanks for the pics. Much appreciated. I was concearned the setup would be a problem when trying to reinstall the seat. I'll try and check a local source for that terminal block. I live in a fairly small town in Newfoundland, so my options are limited. Would you find it at a hardware store?

After having my bike for only a week I am VERY happy to have that underseat storage area. I am also doing work on my wife's S40 and she doesn't have anything like it.

I'll be adding all the electricals this weekend and will post shots of what I do.

·
Registered
48 Posts
STROMTECH: J2Jonner: Thanks for the pics. Much appreciated. I was concearned the setup would be a problem when trying to reinstall the seat. I'll try and check a local source for that terminal block. I live in a fairly small town in Newfoundland, so my options are limited. Would you find it at a hardware store?
Probably, check the phone section, it's a terminal block, sometimes used to wire phone lines together. You would need to run a ground wire along each contact on one side to make one side common, but it should be cheap, and its small. You may also see dedicated ground blocks with covers and whatnot in the mobile audio section of your local electronics store (or even walmart possibly) but they will be for large gauge wire and cost more. Post how it all goes and throw up a pic!

Cheers!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
J2, Thanks again.

I spent about 9 hours yesterday at the Auto Hobby Club on base adding my Madstad windhsield mount, mirror wideners, SW Motech crash bars, center stand, skid plate/engine bottom guard and starting the install of the luggage rack for my Trax boxes. The side luggage mounts were a pain because I had to relocate the rear turn lights using provided brackets. The SW Motech stuff is awesome, but their instructions bite! They just say remove the rear lights, but not how to do it. I spent an hour trying to find how to remove the big rear moulding that holds the brake lights etc. I didn't realize it was just the two small side screws that hold it on. I was afarid I'd break something if I just yanked it off. Anyways......
I thought it would all get done much faster but I had a hard time removing a couple bolts to install the skid plate. Pictures will be forthcoming.
I have a few days off work so today and tomorrow will be spent in the shed figuring out the wiring stuff.
I have to install the mini tail light bar, 12V power adapter, Stebel horn, the above distribution box, battery voltage monitor, battery tender leads, plus something else I am forgetting.... :)
Darn, I wanted all these farkles but now am realizing how much I have to do!
I guess the first will be the adapter plate, then go from there.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
It took me about 2 months of research before I did mine. And a solid 6 hours fo winter work to get it in place. All soldered with molex connections, and ran the cowling lead in with the primary cowling lead and put in a 6 pin molex adjacent to the dash plug. Makes dissasembly a breeze as its just 2 plugs and the front clip is off.

There was a lot of plannin to say the least, here is one of the links I found.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/v-strom-modifications-performance/12026-ap-1-fusebox-mount-12v-adapter-plug-install.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts