StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spotted it on the electrical diagram, and spent some time looking for it today. I removed the air cleaner box and tucked down in front was a white connector with the pinless other half plugged in. (I marked it with a red dot on the photos)

The way it's attached, not sure a guy could get at it without first removing the airbox. The screw on the forward intake is in there a ways. A 3mm allen key bit in a 1/4" socket on a 6" extension worked for me. (all taped together to not lose anything. I backed off the rear about 8 turns, then did the front 16 half turns.

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'm interested- Thanks for taking the time to post.

Did you round up the mating connector from an outside source, or did you install the OEM Suzuki hand warmers?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm interested- Thanks for taking the time to post.

Did you round up the mating connector from an outside source, or did you install the OEM Suzuki hand warmers?
The mating connector is there, it's plugged in with ribber plugs in the wire holes. (that's the photo next to my socket wrench) All that's needed are a pair of the tiny crimp-on blades to slip in there. I had extras from some modifications on my SV, so I'm using those.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Excellent to see the other half is there. If I'd have read everything you posted instead of looking at half of the pictures, I'd could have answered my own question. Thanks for telling me what you told me. :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Not sure it's worth the trouble for a GPS. You could just plug it in the socket on the dash and be done.
I am mounting on handelbars with a lockable mount so I can leave it on at stops without concern for it disappearing so will stay on the bike most of the time. Hardwiring it is worth it for me and also frees up the outlet for other needs on a trip...I do have an old zumo 550 that I use the aux outlets for power so I can use it on different bikes. Vstrom will be my primary traveler this summer so will stay set up for trips most of the time

·
Registered
176 Posts
I spotted it on the electrical diagram, and spent some time looking for it today. I removed the air cleaner box and tucked down in front was a white connector with the pinless other half plugged in. (I marked it with a red dot on the photos)

The way it's attached, not sure a guy could get at it without first removing the airbox. The screw on the forward intake is in there a ways. A 3mm allen key bit in a 1/4" socket on a 6" extension worked for me. (all taped together to not lose anything. I backed off the rear about 8 turns, then did the front 16 half turns.
Thanks for the info on the socket and extension, saved me a lot of time since my allen wrenches are all to short, and it was not easy to see that clamp. It was a some work just to get to that connector but I don't mind since now I am familiar with the procedure for taking off the various body panels and tank.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Not sure it's worth the trouble for a GPS. You could just plug it in the socket on the dash and be done.
I tried that but that plug and cable all stuffed up there was just too messy and crowded for me. I went with this cable from Amazon for $15 which can be run to your battery obviously or a fuse block. Nice and neat. Personally I love the 3-Circuit solution from Eastern Beaver.

Note: I had TWO previous Garmin brand hard-wire cables and neither lasted three months.

·
Registered
272 Posts

My 650 has this connector and I am very pleased to learn the 1000 does as well. Can you post larger photos?

NC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts