StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys.

I am putting an order for an accessory fuse block and the LED CREE lights.

I am planning on tapping the brown wire that goes to the tail lights for power, because it is the most accessible one. Will this wire provide enough juice for 2x10W LED lights?

Which gauge cable to run from brown to fuse block? I guess if I go with something thin it will burn, but too thick and I will lose power on the wire.

Will my rear tail light dim if I run the fuse block from the brown wire?

Also, on the block I will have the cigarette lighter socket and voltmeter.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Always use a relay to power a fuse block. The brown wire on the bike can be used to connect the blue wire in the diagram. The blue wire can even be a 22 gauge if you want as it only powers a relay. A 30 or 40 amp automotive relay commonly used for horns works fine. A 30A inline fuse will work best. The other wires to the relay are power wires to accessories so use 10ga or 12ga. The wires from the fuse block to accessories will vary according to the needs of each accessory. 16ga is more than enough for most but I prefer 14ga for a really loud horn. There is no such thing as losing power on too thick a wire. The only real negative from using a larger wire than needed is workability. This question applies to all V-Stroms so I've moved the thread to the general forum.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, you gave me a better work plan.

It mentions using a distribution block instead of fuse block. Is this better solution? Can you post a link to the one I should use. I can't find one that matches the diagram.

Thanks Greywolf.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
A distribution block requires inline fuses not shown in the diagram. Otherwise, a short in any of the accessory wires would kill every accessory on the block. A fuse block is a neater solution in my opinion. Just wire a fuse block the same way and use fuses appropriate for each load. A 5A fuse and 16 or even 18ga wire would be plenty for the lights for example.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts