StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm currently looking for some accessories for my new DL650 (fox orange).
What I'm currently planning:
* Givi PLX3101 + V35 Tech
* Givi crash bar
* Suzuki engine guard

A few questions:
* Has anyone of you already mounted the PLX3101 and can post some pictures with and without the bags (and especially from behind)?
* Has anyone mounted the Givi crash bar in combination with the original engine guard?

Thanks!
Cheers,
Thomas

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah

Really interested in the GIVI rack responses. I am picking up the bike tomorrow morning and would love to have the rack on by mid-April. Not to hijack, but also interested on opinions with the skidplate over the engine cowl. I will only do fire roads- I say that now. Let me know, please.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Bars

My glee has an OEM under cowling. When I tried to mount my SWMoteck crashbars there was serious incompatability. Where the two bars join, the undercowl protruded enough to block the bars from coupling. Short of modifying (cutting) the cowl, I don't have an answer. Anyone??

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
The Suzuki engine 'guard' provides damn all protection for all it looks good.

If you have to leave anything off, that should be the one to go - replaced by pretty much anything else.

Pete

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
I just received the PLX3101 a couple weeks ago, they are just now coming in to inventory at retailers. I got mine with the V35 sidebags from MC USA, they are local and I'm a regular, so I get good pricing there on tires and accessories. I went with the new Givi B47 Blade monolock top box, I like the look of it, and the latch, when unlocked, you just push down on the top like the trunk of a car to lock it, no fiddeling with latches or keys. You can even order a remote control for it, but I cannot imagine the need for remote control on a top box, ? The side racks went on in less than half an hour, including getting tools out and putting them away, the rack on the right side had to be 'persuaded' to stretch between the front luggage rack mount bolt and the rear one, but not difficult at all. I had the DL1000 Givi side rack too with E21 side bags, and although it was 5 years ago, it seemed like that one was more work, and took longer to put on, maybe not. I'm looking forward to travel this summer with the added capacity of these side bags, I'll be looking for a bag liner solution, Givi makes some, but at $75 or so for the pair, I'll be researching alternatives, any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all the pictures. I really like the V35s.
Any chance that you post a photo from the Wee without the bags mounted? I would like to see how the racks look like.
Thanks,
Thomas

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
some quick pics, it's almost 50 degrees, I have the afternoon off, and I'm going for a ride... I do really like these bags.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Great pictures Byronw - thanks.

If it's not too much to ask, I would love to see another one - from the rear with the bags mounted.
I've been looking everywhere for a picture like that, but unable to find one :mod_sad:

My initial plan was to go for the Touratech Zega Pro panniers, but after seeing this picture I believe I will end up with Givi V35 instead.

I also really like the Givi engine guard and skid plate in the picture.

Regarding a bag liner solution for the V35 - personally I would go for the Givi liners, as they fit the special shape of the V35 panniers.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hey Byron, Your bags look AWESOME! How do you like the windshield in the upper position? Do you have less wind noise?

·
Registered
72 Posts
My glee has an OEM under cowling. When I tried to mount my SWMoteck crashbars there was serious incompatability. Where the two bars join, the undercowl protruded enough to block the bars from coupling. Short of modifying (cutting) the cowl, I don't have an answer. Anyone??
Have you figured out a way to mount the crash bars with the under cowling? How much were you needing to cut/modify? I have the same set and I get the bike tomorrow. I want to put them on if you've found an answer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just put mine on the top holes, and rode up to 90mph.. much better than the middle holes.:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
I couldn't tell much difference between top and middle position for the windshield. I'll be moving it back down.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Does full-face helmet fit in side case? Hearing no.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Thanks Byronw :thumbup:

·
Registered
220 Posts
I couldn't tell much difference between top and middle position for the windshield. I'll be moving it back down.
Well, I will have to try it out. I am 5'8", and sitting on the bike with the windshield in the middle position, I get a lot of windnoise. The wind seems to fly off the windshield and right towards my head, creating a lot noise. Once it gets nicer here in Canada, I will try it on the higher level. Hopefully that will be soon, temps are here around 2-4 degrees celcious. Last week it was 22 degrees celcious. Crazy weather!!

·
Registered
635 Posts

That is one awesomely accessorized Wee!

Imagine what the Orange would look like with the color matched panels on the luggage....

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Does full-face helmet fit in side case? Hearing no.
I went out to the garage to check, Nope, my Size Large HJC CL-Max modular does not fit in the side bag, not by several inches.

The only time I bother locking up a helmet is when I travel, (and my bags are full) when stopping for more than a few minutes at tourist traps, parks, restaraunts, etc, and when I do that, I have a 6 foot plastic coated steel cable, to loop through my jacket and helmet and through the helmet lock on the old Vee, it will loop under the seat now on this one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts