StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all. One day last year I had to brake hard and the front ABS kicked in for a couple of seconds.

Immediately after that, the ABS warning light came on (and has stayed on ever since). At the end of that days riding and with the engine turned off, I realised I could hear a buzzing sound. I found that the ABS motor was running continuously (even with the ignition keys removed). I took the ABS motor fuse out and of course, the motor stopped running. I have now been riding the bike for months with the ABS fuse removed.

The ABS sensors look OK and the slotted discs on the wheel are not buckled.

The bikes first MOT (UK vehicle safety test) is due and it won't pass with a warning light lit up.

Any ideas what the fault might be?

The bike is a 2010 / 650DL.

Thanks. Bill.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Have you plugged the fuse back in? May cause a computer reset. Just a thought.......Mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Have you plugged the fuse back in? May cause a computer reset. Just a thought.......Mike
Hi Mike. Yes I've tried putting the fuse back in - no change, the motor still keeps running. In between time I had to fit a new battery, so the complete electrics were disconnected for a short while. Somehow there is a constant live feed to the ABS motor.

·
Premium Member
4,291 Posts
You could start at the motor and work it backwards to see where it is getting power from. Maybe a fried sensor?

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Can't help with correcting the abs fault, but would focus instead on disabling the light to pass the safety test first.
Is abs mandatory where you're at?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't help with correcting the abs fault, but would focus instead on disabling the light to pass the safety test first.
Is abs mandatory where you're at?
My thoughts exactly!! The warning light is located in the speedometer. I've not yet removed the speedo, but it looks like it might be a sealed unit. If so, I would need to identify which wire feeds the bulb and trace it back to its source. But to do that, a wiring diagram would help and I don't have one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
location of the ABS control unit

OK, I now have found a wiring diagram online. Does anyone know where the ABS control unit is located on the DL650?

Bill.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
OK, I now have found a wiring diagram online. Does anyone know where the ABS control unit is located on the DL650?

Bill.
I'm almost certain it's unitized with the motor and pump behind the shock. Check the wire bundle to be sure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm almost certain it's unitized with the motor and pump behind the shock. Check the wire bundle to be sure.
Pat, Thank you.

I removed the battery and box and there it was underneath. I think I have found which colour wire needs cutting. I will update this thread once I have confirmed its the correct wire for the ABS warning light.

·
38,103 Posts
It's the blue wire. It would have been easier to find in the big connector under the rubber cover in the left side of the fairing cowling.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's the blue wire. It would have been easier to find in the big connector under the rubber cover in the left side of the fairing cowling.
I thought it was the blue wire as well. I cut it, put everything back together and.......feck, the warning light is still on!!!

I am assuming that on the wiring diagram, the colour code "Bl" = blue?

·
38,103 Posts
Bl is blue. According to the diagram, it seems to complete the ground/earth side of the circuit to the light. Sometimes, cutting a ground can do odd things as the electrons find ground any way they can but the diagram doesn't show any other possible paths. The diagram is not complete for the inside of the instrument housing though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bl is blue. According to the diagram, it seems to complete the ground/earth side of the circuit to the light. Sometimes, cutting a ground can do odd things as the electrons find ground any way they can but the diagram doesn't show any other possible paths. The diagram is not complete for the inside of the instrument housing though.
Cutting the blue wire has half solved the problem. The ABS motor has stopped running continuously! But the important bit - the warning light - is still on.

I guess I might have to bite the bullet and take it to a main dealer to sort out.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I have seen some posts about disabling the ABS have you read them ?

Was anybody able to disable the system and not have the light come on ?

Have you tried to earth each end of the blue wire ?

Have you tested for voltage at each end of the blue wire ?

Does the ABS have a relay ? have you pulled it out ?

Tried all of the above with fuse in and out ?

Brake fluid levels are all good ?

In the meantime I will think on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have seen some posts about disabling the ABS have you read them ?

Was anybody able to disable the system and not have the light come on ?

Have you tried to earth each end of the blue wire ?

Have you tested for voltage at each end of the blue wire ?

Does the ABS have a relay ? have you pulled it out ?

Tried all of the above with fuse in and out ?

Brake fluid levels are all good ?

In the meantime I will think on it.
Thanks Rolex. I'll work my way through your checklist at the weekend.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
My bike is not ABS and the manual I have does not have any ABS information so I'm limited to the help I can be.

Have put it into dealer mode and tried to find the original cause ?

Have you tried the master reboot ? disconnect the battery for a few minutes and reconnect it, "you could try this with the other tests" and when you test for voltage on the blue wire you should also use a globe type tester and a multi meter, often a voltage will show on a multi meter but there is not enough current to light a globe, this can be caused by a poor connection or as GW said just a earth/power source trying to find away to earth.

·
38,103 Posts
The ECM is not a learning type, disconnecting it does nothing. Also, the ABS system is totally separate. There is no FI error involved so dealer mode won't do anything.

There is a 6 port ABS DTC connector near the battery positive that operates like the dealer mode connector. It even uses the same Suzuki switch used for the dealer mode connector. Shorting orange to black/white on the connector will put the ABS system into DTC mode. If the wrong connector is chosen, O to B/W will blow a fuse.

With the DTC connector shorted, turning on the ignition will cause the ABS light to flash a code. If no code is stored, the light will cycle every 3.6 seconds.

Otherwise, the information on page 13-89 in the service manual begins procedures on reading and clearing stored DTC codes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts