·
Registered
371 Posts
Any news FFJ :bom_ears:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Any news FFJ :bom_ears:
It takes 3 business days for the dealer to get the part from Suzuki, so I am guessing the work will not be finished until Friday. If all goes well, I'll probably pick the bike up on Saturday, July 25th since the dealer is only open until 5:30 PM on Fridays.

·
Registered
220 Posts
It's fixed

The shop just called, and the bike is fixed :thumbup:

I probably won't be able to pick it up until Saturday since my wife is unavailable to give me a ride up there tonight, and the shop closes at 5:30 PM tomorrow.

I also had them do a valve check/adjust since the bike was out of commission anyway.

All valves were in spec except for the rear cylinder intake valve which was a bit loose (surprising, but tightened to the middle of the range). 17,000 miles on the bike

·
Registered
371 Posts
Let's hope that it stays fixed this time.

Mine have been "fixed" a couple of times now - right up until the warning light comes back on :furious:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Been reading this thread and I've been basically having the same problem with ABS on my 2012 650 V-Strom. My problems started last fall during a trip. About 2hrs into a rain day the ABS light came on and from then on it's been ABS ON and OFF for, at times, dry and wet conditions. However, there seems to be a trigger for ABS OFF with damp conditions if it has been working for a while.

Based on FlyFisfhJeff's experience, the only solution appears to be a replacement of the entire ABS unit.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I sold my bike. However, had I kept it, I probably would have installed a rear hugger to prevent water from shooting off of the rear tire and into the abs unit. It's possible that the ABS is not adequately sealed/protected from water intrusion.

New ABS units are ridiculously expensive!

·
Registered
180 Posts
So I've just started to experience the same ABS light issue.

I left the bike out in the rain for 3 days and it started to flash on the way in to work this morning (dry now). After a mile or two, it stays lit.

Battery is a healthy 13.8 volts static, rising to 14.1 volts when running - which would suggest the battery and stator are fine.

Bike has 54K miles and is a 2013 model. Sensor rings and hall sensors are tight and clean. Battery terminals are clean and tight. No error codes showing up (for now). Brake fluid is 3 years old so it could do with a refresh. Rear brake light bulb is functional for f & r. This is a California bike so it seldom sees water - unless I'm washing it.

I'll clean the connectors this weekend but it seems it could be the ABS pump, no? Any other tricks to try and fix it?

I searched all the other threads and read thru them but no conclusion other than this one....

They're the same on the 1000 and 650 right?

·
Registered
180 Posts
UPDATE: So my issue only happens when its wet - the ABS still works but the light is on as soon as the bike gets a soaking. So whats the consensus? Is my ABS unit not watertight?

I have not yet had the regulator recall done.

·
Registered
220 Posts
UPDATE: So my issue only happens when its wet - the ABS still works but the light is on as soon as the bike gets a soaking. So whats the consensus? Is my ABS unit not watertight?

I have not yet had the regulator recall done.
I don't think a lot of them are watertight. My issues didn't really start until my trip to Maine - solid rain for the first 400 miles. If I knew then what I know now, I would have installed a rear tire hugger.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Shouldn't this be something Suzuki fixes? Seems kinda important to me.....
They completely blew me off. I think a factory ABS unit should be able to withstand riding in rain all day, every day. A rear tail hugger is a lot cheaper than parts and labor on a new ABS unit! Ounce of prevention, and all that.

·
Administrator
17,100 Posts
So far I believe only 2012 /13 owners have had an issue, perhaps a bad batch of ABS units not properly sealed from the elements?

·
Administrator
17,100 Posts
Wow - thats interesting. How many have complained?

Any hugger recommendations?
Considering ABS has been around since I believe 2009, the only complaints like such that appear to be attributed to the ABS pump has been 2012/13 model years "and only a few so far".

Reactions: Rudderfeet

·
Registered
180 Posts
Considering ABS has been around since I believe 2009, the only complaints like such that appear to be attributed to the ABS pump has been 2012/13 model years "and only a few so far".
Shame - "only a few" is not enough for a dealer recall. Guess I'm in the market for a hugger then :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, this is an interesting thread that I wish I'd seen 2 years ago.

2013 DL650 with 12000kms, 2 years old started showing the same symptoms. At first it was intermittent for a couple of months then in about Jan 18 it became constant. ABS light would turn off for a couple of seconds after I pulled away but then turned back on and stayed on.

Spent a lot of hours with the dealer who confirmed that Suzuki were NFI as it was more than a year out of warranty, and that the only option was a replacement. Here in Oz that would have set me back $2300AUD. Given that the ABS fault means that the resale value is negligible, I've been riding without ABS ever since.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Same here. 2012 model. My ABS light started turning on/off intermittenly earlier this riding season. About mid-summer, it started staying on all the time, and the ABS was disabled. I'm committed to diving into it during my winter maintenance period, so I've noted all the previous suggestions and will giving them all a try to see what, if any, impact they have.

I'm hoping I don't have to resort to a new ABS unit...at this point that might be almost half the resale value of the bike.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts