41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Administrator
17,094 Posts
Where is the "dislike" button? :frown2:

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
If it were me I'd ask them to re-flash or re-program the ECM before buying expensive parts that may or may not be the problem. We all know how a reboot can sometimes solve a computer glitch, and that may be what you are looking at here.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Check the GS BMW section on advrider, there's a company in the US that'll rebuild ABS units.

(BMW ABS is even more spendy than Suzuki)

Pete

·
Registered
220 Posts
If it were me I'd ask them to re-flash or re-program the ECM before buying expensive parts that may or may not be the problem. We all know how a reboot can sometimes solve a computer glitch, and that may be what you are looking at here.
The ABS does not go through the ECM - It has it's own Pea-Brain attached to the pump!

I have little risk here because the dealer is providing a warranty on parts and labor. If this does not solve the problem, they will have to continue to figure it out. I don't think they will make me keep the new unit if it does not solve the problem.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Check the GS BMW section on advrider, there's a company in the US that'll rebuild ABS units.

(BMW ABS is even more spendy than Suzuki)

Pete
That would be a great option if I was certain that the pump was bad, but I am convinced that it is the electronics attached to the pump.

This is because when the ABS light would go out, and I would apply the brakes for the first time, I could feel the pump modulating the brakes (even though it should not have been engaging for a slow speed stop). After that first stop, the ABS light would come back on and braking would return to normal.

·
Administrator
17,094 Posts
The rest of you guys having issues need to let the dealer sort this out in my opinion, especially if this fixes Jeffs problem. This is not random it appears, are these not 3 bikes from the same year with the same issue? Suzuki needs to be aware of this and potentially investigate it, but unfortunately I am sure would fall on deaf ears.

·
Registered
371 Posts
That would be a great option if I was certain that the pump was bad, but I am convinced that it is the electronics attached to the pump.

This is because when the ABS light would go out, and I would apply the brakes for the first time, I could feel the pump modulating the brakes (even though it should not have been engaging for a slow speed stop). After that first stop, the ABS light would come back on and braking would return to normal.
That is exactly the same symptoms I have experienced with my bike.

The pump is the most expensive part of the ABS and I really hope that it's not the culprit of the problem :thumbdown:

I'll stay tuned to hear if your dealer is right :bigear:

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Bad news. They think it is the pump or electronics in the abs unit. The unit is not making the sounds it should make when you turn the key on, but the proper voltages are flowing through the harness.

The part is $1990. I'm already in for 1.5 hours of labor. Need another 2 hours to replace the unit.

I found the part on Ron Ayers for $1433, so they are probably going to match that price and offer a parts and labor warranty on the work.

I could get a salvage part on EBay for $450. But no guarantee it even works. ������������

I'm going to let the dealer do the work so that I have the parts and labor warranty.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
:surprise:

Whoooly sh#t that's stuff is expensive. $200 for the sensors too. I would have got the fleabay part and DIY. Either that or buy the cheapo SDS tool myself for $295.00.

I can't believe the SDS tool cannot pinpoint your problems guys. :serious:

On my truck I had an ABS error all the time. Found a guy on Fleabay who rebuilds the electronic module for $50 bucks. I did that and it worked like a charm!

·
Administrator
17,094 Posts
:surprise:

Whoooly sh#t that's stuff is expensive. $200 for the sensors too. I would have got the fleabay part and DIY. Either that or buy the cheapo SDS tool myself for $295.00.

I can't believe the SDS tool cannot pinpoint your problems guys. :serious:

On my truck I had an ABS error all the time. Found a guy on Fleabay who rebuilds the electronic module for $50 bucks. I did that and it worked like a charm!

Look at it this way, Suzuki could potentially get involved and take care of this problem "although unlikely", but at minimum going through the dealer will get this reported and a paper trail. Something is going on that is pretty obvious, as ABS issues of any kind are pretty much non existent from 2009-2011 and 2013 to current.

·
Administrator
13,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
My gut feeling is that is is related to the *rear* wheel sensor. The system thinks the rear isn't turning and starts modulating the front brake. It never seems to bother the rear. It doesn't do this all the time but I am sure that that is the root of it. It also seems to vaguely be related to rain or humidity in the air so most likely a connection/corrosion issue.

..Tom

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
2012 and 2013 hydraulic units have part number 55610-11J00. 2014 and 2015 use 55610-11J01. A one digit change like that normally indicates a different warehouse or supply routing rather than a different part..

·
Administrator
17,094 Posts
My gut feeling is that is is related to the *rear* wheel sensor. The system thinks the rear isn't turning and starts modulating the front brake. It never seems to bother the rear. It doesn't do this all the time but I am sure that that is the root of it. It also seems to vaguely be related to rain or humidity in the air so most likely a connection/corrosion issue.

..Tom
Yet is controlled by the ABS unit, so I am not thinking it is a sensor issue. Replaces yours and see what happens, much less money spent than on another ABS unit. :)

·
Administrator
13,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Yet is controlled by the ABS unit, so I am not thinking it is a sensor issue. Replaces yours and see what happens, much less money spent than on another ABS unit. :)
I'm replacing the bike. (Wife's orders!). :)

..Tom

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
The ABS does not go through the ECM - It has it's own Pea-Brain attached to the pump!

I have little risk here because the dealer is providing a warranty on parts and labor. If this does not solve the problem, they will have to continue to figure it out. I don't think they will make me keep the new unit if it does not solve the problem.
OK. Because the SDS port is the same for acquiring stored regular ECM as well as ABS fault codes I thought they might be talking to or through each other. The FSM definitely spends a lot of time on ABS diagnosis. I wonder why the BMW system is so different --there can't be that many ways to skin the ABS cat.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wow. I have never had ABS before this bike. If mine fails out of warranty, I will just pull the fuse and ride without ABS as I have been doing for the previous 50 years.

Reactions: Don_T and Big B

·
Registered
220 Posts
No update today since the dealer is closed on Mondays.

However, I just sat on hold for about 10 minutes waiting to speak with Suzuki customer service. When my call was finally answered, the representative requested my VIN number (which I provided). She said, "one second while I access your information." and placed me on hold. Then, she dumped me into another representatives voicemail box without explanation!

I don't have high hopes for getting any help from Suzuki.

The dealer did agree to match the Ron Ayers price on the ABS module ($1433)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Suzuki did call me back. They made a note of this thread and listened to my concerns, but said that they are not able to help financially in any way.

The best advice they could offer was to encourage me to save my work orders and receipts in case there was a recall in the future.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts