StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Administrator
13,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed over the last few months that after starting the ABS light would flicker a bit on my 2012 DL650. (Wee2)

I didn't really think much of it as it went out as soon as I started moving. Last night the light flickered a bit when riding and then came on steadily. I did what any self respecting rider woudl do and killed the ignition and then re-started and the light stayed off.. for about 5 minutes. It started flickering and I noiticed (whiel riding at about 55 mph) that if I let the engine idle the steady light would turn to flickering. When I put it back up to speed it woudl be on steadily. When I got to a sutable area I checked the ABS on the rear brake and it was non-functional.

This morning I started it and rode into work. After five or 10 minutes of riding the ABS light came on again and stayed on. I didn't try any little tests this AM while riding but may on the way home again.
I know that most often ABS warnings relate to sensors failing or bad connections on them. This wouldnt surprise me seeing as I ride in lots of salt and crap, and Tuesday eve was in solid snow for a bit. The light flikering while idling and full brightness at highway speed makes me thinkk I should look at voltage levels as well.

Any thoughts? Where should I start looking? Bike has about 50,300 miles on it.

..Tom

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
First check the sensors and wheel ring holes. If those are clean, try some ACF50 on the ABS connections, especially the pump connections behind the shock.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
When mine started doing similar whacky things a couple years ago, I found one of the bolts for the sensor had worked its way loose a few threads. In my case it was the rear wheel.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
when i was doing mods on my K8 a few years back - i find that the ABS system really like to see a clean earth contact- something loose somewhere, maybe at the fuse holder/connection

·
Administrator
13,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to try and give it a good going over tomorrow. On the surface no bolts were loose. I'll give it a good wash and make sure the sensor wheel is clean. I'll check connections as wel.

Ironicaly it didn't do it this morning.

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did 't get a chance to do much on the weekend. Had lots of chores to do and when I fiannaly started really looking at it the weather turned to snow and freezing rain (and I don't have a garage anymore.)

About all I could do was to clean the bike to make sure there wasn't crud on the sensor wheels and to undo and then tighten up the sensors. They were fine.

One other symptom: when I first ride, before the sensor light comes on, the system seems to think that the front wheel has locked up as it pulses the ABS for a moment before letting the brake work (non-ABS) normally. This generally only happens shortly after starting, after less than a minute it doesnt happen anymore. The first few stops are slow speed ones so I don't know if it would act differently at higher speeds. Shortly after that the ABS light comes on.

With the system thinking the front wheel has locked indicate that I should be looking hard at the front brake sensor connections and possibly the sensor itself?

Thanks,

..Tom

·
38,048 Posts
With the system thinking the front wheel has locked indicate that I should be looking hard at the front brake sensor connections and possibly the sensor itself?
That would be my take on it plus making sure the holes in the ring were free of crud.

·
Administrator
13,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ABS appears fixed!!

I didn't touch anything that is directly on the ABS. I had noticed my rear brake pedal seemed a bit wooden and figured the linkage needed a bit of lube after my heavy ride in the snow last week plus all the salt and crap. I was talking with a tech at my work who loves bikes about what pub I shoud use and next thing he brings it in the shop and basically rinses out the brake pivot point with some fancy stuff that really is not tht different than WD40. He ringed the stuff into a container and showed me all the crap that came out. When done the pedal moved normally as it should.

My ride home tonight is about 50 miles. Generally the ABS light comes on in a mile or two.. No light tonight! I tried locking up the rear at a few points and got the wonderful ABS feel in the pedal.

Can it be that the pedal not releasing properly caused the ABS computer to think something is wrong and shut things down?

Il see in the morning if it stays fixed.

..Tom

·
38,048 Posts
If your brake light was on for extended periods of time, I can see that being a problem. Now grease the pivot. Oil doesn't last long. Or do this.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Another ABS Warning light/ABS non-Functioning issue.

I have just returned from a 3 weeks trip around Europe during which the ABS issue occurred - the bike had 76.500 km on the clock at the time.

I was riding in heavy rain on dirty roads when the ABS warning light came on (I wasn't breaking at the time).
The warning light stayed on for the rest of the day and the following 2 days of riding (in dry conditions).
The sensors and wheel ring holes didn't look that dirty and the bolts holding the sensors was as they should be.
After 3 days I had the opportunity to dig out this thread and afterwards I thoroughly cleaned the sensors and wheel ring holes and cleaned/lubed the brake pivot point - that didn't make any difference.
After another 2 days of riding on dry roads the warning light went out after a fuel stop and the ABS functioned again.

The last day on the trip (3 days ago) we hit a few showers and the ABS warning light came on again and stay on.
When I got home I thoroughly cleaned the bike and lubed all the moving parts. Besides that I disconnected and sprayed the pump connections behind the shock with a lubricant for electrical connections before putting it back in place.
That didn't help - the warning light was still on and the ABS non-functioning.

Today after 2 days of riding in dry conditions the warning light went out and the ABS functions again.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the issue will occur again the next time I ride in wet conditions.
Any suggestions (greywolf?) about what I can do to prevent that from happening?

By the way - V-Tom did the problem reoccur on your bike or did the cleaning do the trick permanently?

·
Administrator
13,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My abs issue is still there. I have had it by a dealer and they said no faults were stored. It comes and goes... A bit frustrating.

..Tom

·
38,048 Posts
I like to spray ACF50 and/or put dielectric grease in every connector I can see while working on the bike.

·
Registered
371 Posts
V-Tom #
I'm sorry to hear that. Periodic errors is a pain in the ... and I really don't hope I'm in for the same experience.

greywolf #
There are many connectors on the bike and some of them isn't exactly easy to get to - but I guess that I better get started...

Thank you both for responding to my inquiries.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
How many tires have you put on? I forgot to remove the sensor the other day and I could have dinged it up while changing tires.

Mine hasn't given me any problems.

There is an ABS connector for finding faults with the system in the service manual. It's called the mode select coupler, same as the DTC coupler. You turn it on and it flashes in the ABS light in patterns. The service manual will help tremendously.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've recently encountered the same abs light problems on an extended trip from Ohio to Maine on a 2012 650. My abs light will go off as I start out and then come back on and stay on (indicating the abs is disabled). I've checked all the fuses and connections, but I have not found any problems. I'm still on the trip, and any advice would be much appreciated!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
220 Posts
Just a quick update about my ABS problem. After I got back from the trip to Maine, I installed a new battery and cleaned all of the electrical contacts related to the ABS. This seems to have solved the problem! I'm guessing that the root cause of the problem was weak battery voltage, insufficient ground contact, or a combination of the two.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Thank you for the update FFJ - and sorry that I didn't have any useful input while you were still on the road.

Since my last post a few things has happened.

A few days after my post the ABS warning light came on again - in bone dry conditions.

No wet weather riding since but the warning light have stayed on.

A few days ago I dropped by the local dealer and had him hook the bike up to the computer. No faults was showing :confused:

When I cleaned and lubed the pump connections behind the shock I also did the same to the rear sensor's connection located under the seat.
At that time I didn't manage to locate the front sensor's connection (I didn't have the time to really look for it).

Today I had the time to locate it.
It's behind the frame near the front of the bike on the right hand side. I had to remove the tank to find it.

When I disconnected it a lot of grit/dirt came out. I cleaned it out thoroughly with a lubrication spray for electrical connections.
When everything was back together I did a very short test ride. The warning light went out as it should and didn't come back on.

Time will tell if I found the culprit or if I have to take further action..?

I'll report back if the error returns.

·
Administrator
13,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Uh Oh!

Had my tank off yesterday to clean air filter and poke around a bit. Didn't see anything obviously wrong but Don_T's post about the rear connector today reminded me I had never checked that so I will over the next few days.

The "Uh Oh" above was becasue when I had the tank off at one point I turned on the ignition and heard what i thought was the fuel pump cycling. It sounded noisier and reminded me of when the filter started getting plugged on my 2006 DL650.

Then it crossed my mind that the fuel pump was in the tank (isn't it still?) so I didn't know what else could make pump noises. I was looking through the service manual just now and looking over ABS issues and one diagnostic mentioned ABS pump making noise.

Does that mean a new pump is in order? As of this morning I am at 135,500 km or a bit over 84,000 miles.

That new DL1000 just got a bit better looking....

..Tom

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
if ABS pump is at fault, would the computer not give an error code.

My money is still on some sort of connection issues. The ABS system (independent of the rest of bike) monitors a good ground and a good voltage and a clean ignition signal from ECM computer that the bike has is on and it should turn itself on. If fails to see all 3, it shuts itself off.

If pump is not working or other readings of sensor value is out of range, it should give an error code.

Obviously i could be all wrong!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts