StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I'm buying a Wee this week, and I'm in talks with a dealer now :thumbup:, but I'm wondering about this standard ABS. Is it possible to just install a switch to turn it off?? The dealer has the 2009 model with non-ABS and says it's hard to get the ABS model now, but not impossible, and I'm deciding which one to go for.
Basically, I plan to do a fair amount of dirt roads, so if I can't switch off the ABS then it's not the model for me and my choice is made simple.
Also there's also the cost factor, cheaper without.
So is it possible to install a switch to turn it off??
And is ABS that good that I should insist on having it for a few bucks more??
Any thoughts appreciated!

Mick

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Simply putting a heavy duty switch or relay switch in the ABS fuse line will work as will removing the fuse. The ignition would have to be turned off before switching ABS back on though. http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,8792.0.html shows how to switch it off and on again without turning off the ignition switch.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
It's not difficult to install a switch to turn the ABS off... Turning it off is no issues. However, in order to turn it on again you need to cycle the ignition on/off switch...

Richard

·
Registered
662 Posts
And is ABS that good that I should insist on having it for a few bucks more??
Any thoughts appreciated!

Mick
To answer the second part; ABS is a very hot topic. IMHO, it is a valuable asset for a street rider to have. I could go on for three pages, but the simple argument is ABS will brake better than most riders in emergency stop conditions. Not to say that there is no human who has the skills to beat the computer, but I'm willing to wager that most people can't.

A recent California highway patron study determined that around of all motorcycle officer accidents could have been prevented by ABS. Think about how good motorcycle officers are at riding; now consider that 40% were not better than the computer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts