StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha all,
I found this thread on VRSI Proper ABS on/off switch about installing a switch for the ABS and decided to give it a try. I bought this switch Rechargeable Batteries & Battery Chargers - Handle Bar Mount On/Off Switch and followed the instructions. To verify the orange wire is correct, I pierced it with a needle and checked that it had continuity to the positive battery connection with the switch on. (the battery was out already so I couldn't check voltage.) Else otherwise I just followed the instructions and all went well. As advertised, it can be switched off at any speed and re-engages within a few seconds of turning the switch back on. There is no need to stop, cycle power, or any other monkey motion. The only thing that was kinda left out is the mention of the two plastic rivet-locks that are on the bottom of the battery box under the removable tray. They must be carefully popped out but not a big deal once you know they are there!
I'm sure there are prettier handlebar switches out there. I decided to flip mine upside down and relabel with the label maker that I have so that the switch logic would agree with the kill switch. At some point I'll find a better label solution that's not so dub-tee, but for now this works just fine.

Cheers! -Kevin

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks

I am still debating whether to sell my bike (long story) but if I keep it I am installing a switch. I thought I did not need one riding logging roads until I followed my friend on a BMW 650 down a steep rutted one. I managed to keep things under control at, for me, real scary speeds. But no more until I install a switch.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Eastern Beaver has a kit to switch off ABS. ABS is nice for emergency stops. It is bad news for controlled steep decents on gravel dirt ir bumpy roads. Here is link for Eastern Beaver. Suzuki VStrom Electrics

·
Registered
1 Posts
But no more until I install a switch.

Thanks for the info.
When you come in a situation where you want the abs off (and don't have the switch yet), just pull one of the 2 fuses under the seat.
I did so in spain when we arrived at a steep descent.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's no question that the eastern beaver set up is clean and easy to change back should you be so inclined if you sell the bike. I didn't like running higher current wires to a bigger switch than necessary. Also, I think (but can't verify) that with the eastern beaver kit, the key switch has to be cycled and the bike stopped.
Cheers, -Kevin

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I think (but can't verify) that with the eastern beaver kit, the key switch has to be cycled and the bike stopped.
I think this has to be done in every case, not just the EB kit, but the engine can be stopped and restarted while rolling in neutral or clutch disengaged.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think this has to be done in every case, not just the EB kit, but the engine can be stopped and restarted while rolling in neutral or clutch disengaged.
That's what I seem to remember reading. With the switch set up I used, the ABS can be turned off and back on at any speed without having to come to a stop or cycling power -- that's why I went that route.
Cheers, -Kevin

·
Registered
301 Posts
abs

The problem with abs on dirt is , when you go over rocks or bumps, the abs engages and wont let you jam on the brakes or come to a quick stop. Just riding on dirt and if it's not a steep hill or a panic stop, you can easily ride with the abs on. I have the eastern beaver set up with a switch I bought from radio shack ,which I have wired inside my tank bag , and it does need to be re-cycled by turning off the bike and back on again to have the abs back on again. This was the same way it was on my BMW 650 Dakar from the factory.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
It seemed to have gotten lost in the discussion though.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Switch

There aren't too many steep dirt roads where I ride ,and I've slowed way down on the V-Strom compared to my Dakar on dirt. Both of these reasons make it unnessary for me to turn off my abs on most of the dirt roads I ride on ,even though you don't have to turn the bike off to turn the ABS off with the Eastern Beaver set up.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
I am no expert in dirt bikes and i dont rider super fast on dirt like experienced guys do - dont think vstrom is designed to be ridden fast on dirt(that's another topic).

My 2cents blur is that unless you really understand what and why u are doing it, even for steep decent, dont automatically turn of ABS just because u are on dirt. (that's even with vstrom ancient ABS setup).

There's two seasons why ABS is not desirable in certain condition:

1) the bike jumps over bumps/rocks/ whatever and become momentarily airbourne, ABS activates and until traction is regained, it unlocks the brake. What u might want is for the bike remained locked even it means a moment of locked wheels. The activation and deactivation takes time even for a computer especially on low traction surface. This could also happen on high-traction road surface too. Better compliance in tuning suspension will reduce the issues somewhat.

2) On very loose surface when traction is extremely limited - it's faster to stop if the wheels are locked, it helps the bike to dig in. Need some good skills balance a locked 230kg or 500lbs motorbike.

Steep Decent:
The "video" people keep referring to prove ABS doesnt work in steep decents is this BMW guy riding down a steep hill. First i dont how BMW ABS works and i know i have done similar down a steep hill and it works on my Wee. More importantly, if u watch the video closely, he unlocks the brake after initial lock up and left the brake unlocked (no brake light on!!) for half the hill decent before grabbing the brakes again. By that time he would have gathered up so much momentum, i dont know if a locked brake would have it made it worst or better - at least he kept it upright and make it to the bottom- did ABS help him to do that, i wonder.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
I am no expert in dirt bikes and i dont rider super fast on dirt like experienced guys do - dont think vstrom is designed to be ridden fast on dirt(that's another topic).

My 2cents blur is that unless you really understand what and why u are doing it, even for steep decent, dont automatically turn of ABS just because u are on dirt. (that's even with vstrom ancient ABS setup).

There's two seasons why ABS is not desirable in certain condition:

1) the bike jumps over bumps/rocks/ whatever and become momentarily airbourne, ABS activates and until traction is regained, it unlocks the brake. What u might want is for the bike remained locked even it means a moment of locked wheels. The activation and deactivation takes time even for a computer especially on low traction surface. This could also happen on high-traction road surface too. Better compliance in tuning suspension will reduce the issues somewhat.

2) On very loose surface when traction is extremely limited - it's faster to stop if the wheels are locked, it helps the bike to dig in. Need some good skills balance a locked 230kg or 500lbs motorbike.

Steep Decent:
The "video" people keep referring to prove ABS doesnt work in steep decents is this BMW guy riding down a steep hill. First i dont how BMW ABS works and i know i have done similar down a steep hill and it works on my Wee. More importantly, if u watch the video closely, he unlocks the brake after initial lock up and left the brake unlocked (no brake light on!!) for half the hill decent before grabbing the brakes again. By that time he would have gathered up so much momentum, i dont know if a locked brake would have it made it worst or better - at least he kept it upright and make it to the bottom- did ABS help him to do that, i wonder.

FYI, i have the instant on-off switch setup referred to here

1 - 15 of 15 Posts