StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if anyone had tried retrofitting ABS brakes to their V or wee and if so, how the conversion went. Cost, hassles, etc. Since it seems you can hardly get one from SUzuki that might be one way to beat the system.

Any thoughts?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It's not a viable option. The total of different parts alone for an '07 or later non ABS 650 would exceed the trade in cost of the bike if you could identify and get all the parts. Even the wheels have to be changed. A DL1000 or earlier 650 won't accept the ABS parts.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for answering that question Greywolf...I guess my only other alternative is to get proficient doing panic stops without any artificial ingredients. :mrgreen:

The folks at the local community college are gonna dread to see me coming....

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
It's a $500 option on a new bike. I doubt you could come anywhere close to that by buying the parts outright.

·
38,048 Posts

·
38,048 Posts
Like I said. It puts a small air space into the system and creates a mushy brake and that's all it does. Avoid the thing like the plague.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My guess is that there is enough 'give' in the rubber hoses with the stock brakes that that modification would not be an improvement from a control standpoint. After reading their so-called technical explanation of how it works...basically all it does is reduce peak brake line pressure or what I could call 'impulse' pressure. In a panic stop, at least until we learn better, we as humans tend to 'stab' at the brake, creating a sharp spike in hydraulic pressure. I think that thing might reduce that spike. Most of us know better than to grab a handful and with practice, maybe we even learn not to do that. Its funny how the mind learns things more quickly than our muscles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts