1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon,

long story.. some what short,

First of all my bike is a 2009 V-Strom 650A

I am trying to disable my front ABS while trying to retain the functionality of my rear ABS. (maybe even put the rear on a switch) I currently have no way of installing the front ABS (Op hacked the hell out of the bike) as the front wheel is off an regular 650 and not a 650A.

The rear ABS is hooked up with a known good sensor and nothing is currently attached for the front sensor, but I do have one. The current ABS codes on the bike are 42 and 45 (front and rear sensor). I took the bike for a quick ride yesterday, it was finally above 0 to do so. Of course the ABS light was on and the rear ABS was not functional. I am not sure if the bike will clear the codes on its own or if they have to be manually deleted? If so I am not sure how to delete the codes.

Also I noticed the a relay located next to the ABS fuse (25/40A ones) is different then the one I have on a spare harness from an 2009 650A. The one currently on the bike is 06Y8D5 vs 0039D5 that is on the spare harness. But they are both labeled with the same G8MS-S23 number.

Any input or questions to help steer this into the right direction would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Without a working front the ABS can't work.

You could try hooking the front sensor to the rear wheel along with the rear wheel sensor but then the front pump would activate the when the rear did.

You would then need to re-plumb the front pipes to separate the two systems by getting the pipes off a non ABS bike.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Without a working front the ABS can't work.

You could try hooking the front sensor to the rear wheel along with the rear wheel sensor but then the front pump would activate the when the rear did.

You would then need to re-plumb the front pipes to separate the two systems by getting the pipes off a non ABS bike.
thanks,

I guess in short I will just live with the little yellow light

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
It's not just a yellow light, will the ABS work when you need it ???

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not just a yellow light, will the ABS work when you need it ???
I have never had ABS when I got the bike. So I guess it cannot really be missed. The bike is not worth putting that much money into it. The cost of a new front wheel plus any other hardware for the bike is quite expensive. I would have to get an entire front wheel off an ABS model for 100-200$ Can. to make it even worth it.

I didn't know enough about the bike when I bought it and I was basically taken for a ride. The bike had a different cluster installed (Non-ABS) to hide the fact that the ABS didn't work. The best I can tell is that the bike was in a crash of some sort causing the original owner to replace the front rim with a cheaper non ABS version.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
No ABS is fine as long as you are not expecting it to work, I leave the ABS on my V2 permanently turned off. (& TC)

Here in OZ we need to have our older bikes inspected each year for a roadworthy certificate, with the ABS light on it should not be passed as roadworthy.

The 09 here came with ABS & without so it would be easy to get rid of the ABS unit with a few pipes but it would require more work to disable the light.

I have been thinking since I suggested you run the front sensor to the rear wheel, this should get the light out but I doubt the ABS would work as it would see both wheels traveling at the same speed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No ABS is fine as long as you are not expecting it to work, I leave the ABS on my V2 permanently turned off. (& TC)

Here in OZ we need to have our older bikes inspected each year for a roadworthy certificate, with the ABS light on it should not be passed as roadworthy.

The 09 here came with ABS & without so it would be easy to get rid of the ABS unit with a few pipes but it would require more work to disable the light.

I have been thinking since I suggested you run the front sensor to the rear wheel, this should get the light out but I doubt the ABS would work as it would see both wheels traveling at the same speed.

That is a good idea and I will try that for sure.

As for inspections the bike was inspected with the wrong cluster right before I bought it. And since it was less the 30 days after when I transferred it into my name it didn't require a new inspection. For us here the safety inspections are lifetime that you own the vehicle, and are only required when it transfers owners. This lifetime thing is a blessing and a curse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts