StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ABS light has been coming on randomly while riding the bike and then staying on.

If I shut the bike off and turn it right back on sometimes no reset sometimes resets for a little while.

If the bike is really cold usually the ABS light stays off for a while.

Warmer weather seems to make the problem come up faster.

Did the dealer mode routine no codes

Nothing obviously wrong with the wiring or the sensors

Anybody have any ideas about this I'm completely lost

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
933 Posts
How old is the battery?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replace the rear sensor no help.have not tried the front yet. battery reads 14 volts without the bike runing.

·
Administrator
17,100 Posts
Is your bike a 2012? Go to a gravel road which is flat and allow the ABS to kick in multiple times, use both the front and rear brakes.

Reactions: blaustrom

·
Registered
651 Posts
What is involved in a brake fluid change on a bike with ABS ? Do you have to do something to get the fluid through the whole hydraulic brake system?

RLBranson

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2 years on the brake fluid change.

what is the purpose of kicking in the ABS system is it some sort of like recalibration concept?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
You need to do a brake fluid change. In order to get the old stale (and corrosive) brake fluid out of the ABS module you need to activate the ABS pump by activating the ABS intervention (front and rear). Do this multiple times. Ideally you change the fluid. Then do like 20 ABS activation on a slippery surface (gravel, grass) at a reasonable speed. Then change the fluid again.

Have you taken the wheel sensors out and cleaned the surface?
Are you running tires that are not OEM size?

·
Administrator
17,100 Posts
2 years on the brake fluid change.

what is the purpose of kicking in the ABS system is it some sort of like recalibration concept?

What year is your 650, as 2012 model years have been the only ones having ABS issues? I believe the ABS pump needs to be activated regularly on our bikes, but you need to first ensure your ABS is even working, heck that could even potentially fix what is going on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Works fine when the light's not on it's definitely heat-related cuz today the light won't shut off at all super hot out

I'm guessing it's probably related to some connector in the wiring harness I had to bypass a pin of a piece of the wiring harness the other day for my headlights I'm guessing it's the same thing but I haven't actually diagnosed it as that yet

1 - 12 of 12 Posts