StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to purchase a new Wee, and had a few questions regarding ABS. My dealer is going to receive a new shipment soon, and I need to make up my mind if I want ABS or not. I've never had ABS on any of my motorcycles, and was wondering if it is needed.

1. Is it difficult to adjust to ABS brakes?
  2. Will ABS help or hurt the resale value?
  3. Can the ABS be deactivated when off-road?
I look forward to what you have to say. Thx

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
1. No, it only comes into play when you are in panic stop mode. Then, instead of the wheel locking up, it "steps" around the rotor so that no part of the tire is skidding continously.

2. It will probably help, but I'd look at the NADA listing for used bikes and see if ABS shows a price difference.

3. You can pull the fuse to disable the system, but there's no "off switch."

·
Registered
25 Posts
Look at the youtube videos

I ordered an 09 Wee w/ABS. In fact I have a deposit down on 2 (two different dealers). I want to ensure I get one in NOV/DEC for next Spring.
If you can swing the extra cash, there is absolutely no reason to NOT get one with ABS. Take a look around this forum...ABS are no where to be found new or used...this indicates that owners like them a lot!

CPC

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
I ordered an 09 Wee w/ABS. In fact I have a deposit down on 2 (two different dealers). I want to ensure I get one in NOV/DEC for next Spring.
Good luck with that. The '08 ABS models didn't start showing up in the USA until about May or so.

If you can swing the extra cash, there is absolutely no reason to NOT get one with ABS. Take a look around this forum...ABS are no where to be found new or used...this indicates that owners like them a lot!
Actually it means that Suzuki shipped very, very few to the USA. Most were going to Canada and even dealers with orders placed were not getting them. Check the posts from back in the spring. There are dozens complaining about none of the dealers having them, being able to get them, or even knowing when their orders would be filled.

Personally, to keep the thread on topic, I don't like ABS. Admittedly I've never had it on a bike but I don't want it on one either. To each their own, my choice is no ABS on bikes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you can swing the extra cash, there is absolutely no reason to NOT get one with ABS.
I can think of one... once you've gotten used to the ABS, you might get yourself into trouble if you're riding a bike that doesn't have it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I don't know if the Suzuki ABS systems have been out long enough for problems to crop up.

I had an older bike with ABS that was very sensitive to dirty brake fluid. It was absolutely necessary to flush the entire brake fluid system once a year or possibly deal with a seized hydraulic unit for a cost of $1200. It was an involved process necessitating cycling of the hydraulic unit to flush the fluid through it.

Only time will tell but I prefer to have my bikes simpler any more for this reason.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Virtually every car on the market these days has ABS. Here in Australia ABS will be compulsory on all new cars I think in 2010.
ABS is proven technology it has been shown to be reliable, have huge safety benefits and require no additional maintenance over non ABS equipped vehicles. It will become standard on all bikes within 3-5 years IMO so if I had the option of ABS or non ABS today I would go ABS every time.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Personally, to keep the thread on topic, I don't like ABS. Admittedly I've never had it on a bike but I don't want it on one either. To each their own, my choice is no ABS on bikes.
Have you ever ridden a bike with ABS to offer a valid evaluation?

I cannot follow this.

It's like:

"Bob, are raincoats worth owning?"

Bob: "I don't like rain coats. I've never worn one and they certainly would come in handy in the rain, but don't want one either. But if you want to wear one, have at it."

With all due respect, you are entiled to your elliptical logic, but I don't think it's particularly in this context.

I have read many of your knoweldgable and informative posts, but I must say I'm at a loss here. I think Kosick's initial question would be better served if you could explain the drawbacks of Anti-Lock Braking over standard brakes.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts

I think Kosick's initial question would be better served if you could explain the drawbacks of Anti-Lock Braking over standard brakes.
Agreed.

I have not had any practical benefit from wearing a crash helmet since I think 1980 or 1981 so I guess I should say here that following that logic crash helmets are a waste of time as well.

How many people own leathers and other safety equipment that has proved to be a worthless investment?

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts

I cannot follow this.

[snip for brevity]
As I said in my original post:
Admittedly I've never had it on a bike but I don't want it on one either
I also added:

Personally, to keep the thread on topic, I don't like ABS.
(emphasis in both quotes was added)

I have had far, far, far too many ugly braking instances with ABS on cars and trucks to ever want it on a bike. If I had a choice between ABS and non-ABS on a car I'd go with non-ABS any day of the week. Statistics are meaningless to me, and I am firmly convinced that I have better control over a non-ABS car than one equipped with ABS.

As I said, I have NOT had it on a bike and given a choice I don't want it. I may get stuck with one some day and then change my mind, but right now I have absolutely zero interest in trying it on a bike because I do not trust it.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
ABS is no different from non ABS until a wheel locks up. I don't understand what's not to trust. When a wheel locks up, ABS keeps the tire from sliding out, typically a quick go down when on the front wheel. A big plus for me is to be able to brake without fear on wet surfaces. I've been surprised at how well the bike brakes in the wet as a result. The DL650A has independent brakes, no linking, and that's the way I like it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I got my 08 ABS wee May 27 and I have ~3k miles on it now. This is the first bike I have owned with ABS and I love it. I had a deer run out in front of me when it was raining last week and I had no problems controlling the bike in that panic situation. I would pay the extra money for ABS brakes.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
and I am firmly convinced that I have better control over a non-ABS car than one equipped with ABS.
Take you ABS car to a quiet wet parking lot.
Get up a little bit of speed and slam the brakes on as hard as you can while turning sharply left or right (to simulate trying to avoid a kid standing in the middle of the road).
Pull the ABS fuse and try the same exercise in the same car under the same conditions.
Come back and tell us whether the kid survived the second manoeuvre.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Abs?

ABS gives you that little extra degree of protection that is often the difference between staying upright and losing control. It's saved me in the rain once already...

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The OP asked the question as to whether or not ABS is needed on a bike. Mypersonal opinion is that it is not. Based on my experiences on four wheels I do not like ABS. My opinion, my choice. I may live to regret it (or not live as the case may be) but that also is my choice. At some point I may wind up with a motorcycle with ABS and decide I was wrong, but that remains to be seen.

I'm not interested in participating in another ABS vs. non-ABS debate so you guys carry on if you so wish. I'm outa here.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have used the ABS on my K1200LT and now I will not be without ABS. It saved my a$$. If I would have been on my H-D (non-ABS); well I try not to think about it. It's more money and the bike is a little heavier, but $hit I'll not have another bike without ABS.

·
Registered
449 Posts
2010 all bikes will have ABS from what im hearing

·
Registered
277 Posts
If "Any" dealership within 300 miles of me had one (and it was not already spoken for) I would have ABS. between waiting lists, lack of availablility, and my own impatience, I'm without ABS.

My new Wee found it's way home last night ;)

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Anyone who has had ABS in the past WANTS ABS Again... *that means me.

Anyone who has the option to have ABS and does not get it, Me thinks is a fool.

Yes it absolutely increases the resale..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts