StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Never rode a strom w/ ABS, but I have been on a few BMWs w/. Never got to test the front under ABS operation but I have smashed on the rear while leaned over several times. Basically after the initial minor rear tire shift to the outside of the turn, it feels like the rear brake is doing little.

IMHO if MC ABS has the significant model-to-model variability as automotive ABS does, then it'll be hard to tell w/o going out on a wet day and mashing on the brakes to test it yourself. (Try telling a dealer that's what you want to do.)

Really interested to hear from others who have really tested their ABS on wet/sandy roads at speed. Esp. the front tire.

·
Registered
56 Posts
A couple of months ago, I was riding in the N GA mtns. There were spots with sand in the road. I got into a corner, and as I was starting to lean the bike, I ran over some sand I hadn't seen. The rear wheel started to slide out, and I hit the brakes, front and rear. The rear ABS kicked in, and the bike just started to stand up. I regained control and continued on.

This is my first bike with ABS, and I really think it saved my butt that day. Not sure about it though, to be honest. It may be that there wasn't much sand, and that I had gotten through it when I hit the brakes. No way to tell, but personally I think the ABS saved me. As far as I'm concerned, it's a great thing.

Yaniv

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
That's mighty impressive, but only tells one side of the story.

I like the way the non abs riders intentionally lock the front brake, tilt the bike, and turn the front wheel upon entering the gravel/sand to get the most dramatic negative effect.

Very objective testing.

Ok, I bit. :mrgreen:
I suspect (but don't know) the riders were told to mash the brakes as hard as humanly possible. That would explain the results seen. Looked like a pretty wild ride on the non-abs bike.

I'm a fan of ABS and would love to have it on the Vee.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
The video certainly proves that if your mash your front brakes and lock your tire you are going to hit the ground if you don't get off the lever. There is a write up on new Yamaha Super Tenre on ADV. The guy doing the write up disabled the ABS and was making shorter stops on dirt with out it. Don't get me wrong if it were available for the 1000 I would probably have it.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I much prefer ABS, but it was not on the DL1000, and I could not find a nice DL650 with it. My last 3 bikes have had it and it worked well. panic stops are just that. Seconds are lost IMO without it and I am not getting younger either.

·
Registered
609 Posts
There is a write up on new Yamaha Super Tenre on ADV. The guy doing the write up disabled the ABS and was making shorter stops on dirt with out it. .
I dont think of ABS as a tool to make shorter stops in planned conditions. Its already been proved that in planned operation in dry condiitons a non ABS can outstop an ABS. However, ABS is there for emergency use and in my opinion cheap insurance. It should never be relied on and only operate in a, "Oh sh1t" moment. The kind of time you time you find skidmarks in your underpants. I would like to put the same guy in a, "oh sh1it" moment like going around a blind turn wet with some light sand on the road with a truck pulling out on the road. That might change the results a bit IMO.

·
Registered
152 Posts
broke my shoulder last year because my sv didn't have ABS and 30 years experience wasn't enough to save me in the 1.5 seconds it took to reach the ground, led me to the strom so not a bad thing all considered

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
Okay...so, ABS-equipped bikes have the ABS kick in before full breaking threshold (as in, maximum stopping without locking) or only when wheel slip is detected?

Because the impression that I get from a lot of anti-ABS comments is that having ABS voids any braking skills. That people with it just mash the brakes as hard as possible whenever if they have an ABS-equipped bike.

Isn't ABS there to prevent locking of the wheels, if you applied too much brake for the conditions (which you may or may not have known were there). Yes...locking the rear is a useful technique when slowing down off-road, but not so much when you're riding along in the rain and an SUV cuts you off and then slams on the brakes infront of you.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
That's mighty impressive, but only tells one side of the story.

I like the way the non abs riders intentionally lock the front brake, tilt the bike, and turn the front wheel upon entering the gravel/sand to get the most dramatic negative effect.

Very objective testing.

Ok, I bit. :mrgreen:
This is the article that convinced me to get ABS...after going down on some sand at about 10mph when the front brake locked, dislocating my ribs.

http://www.ibmwr.org/prodreview/abstests.html

Cliff Notes: experienced riders do pretty well on dry surfaces without ABS. On wet surfaces, a new rider stopped at least 58 feet (25%) shorter from 60mph than any of five experienced riders could do without ABS.

Figure 4. Wet Pavement Braking over Sewer Cover *
(All measurements recorded with Yamaha FJ1200) **

Racer
non-ABS 298 ft
w/ ABS 211 ft
Full ABS Control 193 ft

Mileman
non-ABS 326 ft
w/ ABS 240 ft
Full ABS Control 201 ft

Road Rider
non-ABS 278 ft
w/ ABS 202 ft
Full ABS Control 197 ft

Tourer
non-ABS 350+ ft
w/ ABS 236 ft
Full ABS Control 210 ft

Mechanic
non-ABS 350+ ft
w/ ABS 252 ft
Full ABS Control 209 ft

Newguy
non-ABS 350+ ft
w/ ABS 215 ft
Full ABS Control 210 ft

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've had well over 200 hrs of motorcycle training, the bulk of which was when I rode a motorcycle for the police department. We trained long and hard on high speed emergency braking. None of the bikes had ABS.

I consider myself a pretty good rider, with above average skills. The sand I went over in my prior post was about the same color as the road, so I wasn't able to see it to react to it. As I said, I believe the ABS saved my butt in that case. Might be true, might not, but that's what I think.

I don't think ABS is a replacement for good training and knowing what to do as a general rule. I also think that people should learn to drive cars and motorcycles without it, to understand what their vehicle will do in an emergency situation. I do think ABS has it's purpose, and is a good thing. My skills have not been lost since I got ABS. I don't just mash the brakes as hard as possible in every stop. But, it's good to know it's available for emergencies, or for when something happens, like the sand, that I watch out for. but may not always see.

I think most people feel that the technology in their vehicle will get them out of any situation. That's on them. If they can't, or won't, learn the right techniques, and practice them, then that's their problem. I won't let my skills go away because my vehicles are equiped with ABS, airbags, or any other safety feature.

Yaniv

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
I've been riding for over 30 year. Never had ABS (except for the wife's Wee) and I ride about 15k miles a year in all kinds of weather. I can usually be found riding pretty quickly though the twisties roads available. I believe I am a reasonable competent rider with a lot of experience when it comes to encountering unexpected bad road conditions during any and all phases of a ride.

I would be deluding myself to think my experience allows me to brake at the absolute maximum point without locking up a wheel in various conditions. Sure I can do a very good job of braking without a lock, but could I brake just a little more? I don't know, it's too close to a lock to run the risk. With ABS I know I'm at the maximum point, and I know I can hold that maximum point through the varying conditions during the stop. Wet or dry I have the maximum braking possible.

No doubt that ABS is a bad idea in the dirt. It needs to be switchable. But if Zuk offered an ABS Vee tomorrow I would buy it tomorrow and give up my beloved red 2006 Vee.

·
Registered
114 Posts
To have ABS is up to you.
The concensus is, if your very experienced you probably don't need it.
As for some of us, the odometer is showing the bike riding distance travelled in the last 20 years.

Don't think ABS will hurt, an if your getting back to riding after a long break.... Probably a good thing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
To have ABS is up to you.
The concensus is, if your very experienced you probably don't need it.
As for some of us, the odometer is showing the bike riding distance travelled in the last 20 years.

Don't think ABS will hurt, an if your getting back to riding after a long break.... Probably a good thing.
As for me, i like mine, as i can grab as hard as i do :var_25:

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay...so, ABS-equipped bikes have the ABS kick in before full breaking threshold (as in, maximum stopping without locking) or only when wheel slip is detected?
It works by detecting wheel spin. When the wheel stops, it kicks in.

On the DL650, ring #4 aligns with a Hall-effect sensor to detect when the wheel isn't spinning.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Whats with all this abs/non abs debates anyway? It was a 500 dollar no brainier for me when I purchased my vstrom. ABS brakes were not on my top 3 items of must have for a new motorcycle. Personally I care about the size of the gas tank more than the option of ABS. (its just not a deal breaker for me)

My biggest safety concern never has been with any of my motorcycles. Its always comes down to the riders experience and skill. Yes ABS can save my bacon, but that is not going to help the squid biker that is taking to many risks.

If I was to list my biggest safety concerns: Winter and FOGGING face shield and glasses. BLACK ICE and DRUNK DRIVERS.

WD
ride safe

1 - 20 of 108 Posts