StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just had a weird experience with the ABS. Never had any issues before that.

I was riding and decelarated into a slow turn. Suddently a pedestrian entered the cross walk, at this point I was no more than a few KPH. I squizzed the front brake hard, the bike stopped ofcourse, I let go of the brake lever, it returned, but the brake was still engaged locking the front. With my legs I pulled the bike to the rear and the brake slowly disangaged.

Again, never had any issues before. Brake lines are original. I replaced fluid a few months ago, but not system wide kabs pump), fluid seemed nice and clear though.

Any of you experienced something similar? Any ideas what to do?

Thanks,
Ilan

·
Registered
166 Posts
Check calipers first.

Hi,
Just had a weird experience with the ABS. Never had any issues before that.

I was riding and decelarated into a slow turn. Suddently a pedestrian entered the cross walk, at this point I was no more than a few KPH. I squizzed the front brake hard, the bike stopped ofcourse, I let go of the brake lever, it returned, but the brake was still engaged locking the front. With my legs I pulled the bike to the rear and the brake slowly disangaged.

Again, never had any issues before. Brake lines are original. I replaced fluid a few months ago, but not system wide kabs pump), fluid seemed nice and clear though.

Any of you experienced something similar? Any ideas what to do?

Thanks,
Ilan
I wouldn't be too quick to lay fault with the ABS system. At low very low speeds <6 Kph (approx) the ABS is inoperative. Just how fast were you going when you applied the brake??
It may well be that you have a sticking front caliper not releasing quickly. I'd check the calipers first before diving into the great unknown of the ABS system.

If the ABS light comes on with the ignition and then goes out when you exceed 5 Kph (approx) then there is no DTC recorded by the inbuilt self diagnostic system.

CAUTION: Do not attempt ANY ABS trouble shooting without following the manual.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and thanks, It was at a very low speed, below 5 kph, and the lockup happened just as the bike stopped completely. ABS light is off. I too think it was an unusual scenario that dazzled the ABS. I tried braking a few times after that - all as usuall, no sign of brake pads sticking and the disk is not hot after a ride, as I would expect if the brake pads were to apply any kind of pressure.
Anyway, Ill check the calipers just in case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had something similar to this happen years ago with a BMW. Turns out it was the very tiny return hole in the master cylinder was gummed up. Mine would actually lock up at slow speed. Only way to release to get home was to pop the bleeder to relieve the pressure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts