Strom Trooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my morning commute my ABS light came on and is now staying on. The manual doesn't say anything other than 'something's wrong, take it to the dealer'.

Any ideas on what I should start checking?

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
On my Beemers, it may have been the gap of the sensors to the rings or a bit of metal stuck in the sensing wheel. Funny how cars never seem to have that sort of failure and Bikes seem to be a mind boggler.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Wonder if a reset (disconnect battery/reconnect battery) will clear the fault? Might be worth a try to see if it repeats. I clearly don't know enough about ABS to offer anything other than a shot in the dark. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
This is not a common problem but do a google search at stromtrooper and you will find a few threads I think.

I would try and find the fuse the feeds the ABS and make sure its ok and has good contact. Then check both wheel sensors (remove them - 8 mm socket and make sure there is no gunk clinging to the front) and the associated wiring. If all that checks out you need to find better suggestions form someone else here.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You ride/own a 2012 by chance?
Yep.

I checked the front sensor yesterday and found the bolt holding it in place was loose, so I tightened it up. The light went off as normal...then came back on about 15 miles down the road.

Before I rode home I checked the sensor and the bolt was tight. I quickly checked the wiring as far up as I could and didn't find anything obvious. The ride home the light turned off as normal, and was fine for my ride in this morning.

On my way home, it was fine again. Then I ran into a rain storm and pulled over to eat dinner and let the storm pass. Once it did, I started up the bike and the light was on again for the whole ride home.

As soon as I can find some garage time, I'll try the battery disconnect and fuse check.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Have you had your rear wheel removed recently ?

Leaving the sensor in place when the rear wheel is removed can damage the rear sensor.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Now I'm getting paranoid about ABS :grin2:

Is there a general ABS troubleshooting and maintenance checklist that we can adhere to? Might be time for a sticky with that content. I'll volunteer to put something together if it doesn't exist already.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
are you running non stock size tires front or rear?
I am...I have Shinko 705s front and rear. But I'm on my third set since swapping out the stock Trailwings and this is the first time I've experienced this.

Have you had your rear wheel removed recently ?
Yes, I took it off this winter to replace the rear tire. However I did follow the manual's instructions to remove the rear sensor before taking off the wheel, and replaced it once the job was done.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Step 1: Make sure you have the shop manual for your bike.
Step 2: Read both the brake sections and ABS sections so that you have a general understanding of operation and component locations.
Step 3: Check the operation and condition of your service brakes before you attend to the ABS system.

In the ABS section of my factory '14 Suzuki DL1000 Service manual there are 41 pages of descriptions, schematics, pictorials, inspections, and test + service procedures. Some require special tools and equipment.
BUT...There is shown a special service tool Suzuki 09930-82760 that plugs into the mode select coupler under the seat to read diagnostic trouble codes which are then flashed on the instrument cluster's ABS indicator lamp.
I havent looked for this coupler on my own Vstrom, but if it's similar to the mode select switch tool, a simple paper clip might accomplish the same thing. I bought the Suzuki tool for Mode select off Amazon for $17, makes setting TPSs simple and quick.
Realize you have wiring, sensors, connectors, fuses, relays, switches, etc in the system. Get the manual and familiarize yourself with your machine.

·
Super Moderator
16,718 Posts
Now I'm getting paranoid about ABS :grin2:

Is there a general ABS troubleshooting and maintenance checklist that we can adhere to? Might be time for a sticky with that content. I'll volunteer to put something together if it doesn't exist already.
Nah for whatever reason it’s seems to be the 12’s with gremlins, the rest of 650 ABS bikes have been rock solid. No sticky or troubleshooting guides for ABS systems here, as failures are rare.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A mild update...

The light remains on, though it has turned off for short durations a couple of times.

I haven't had the garage time to really dive into this, but I did determine both front & rear sensors are clear.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 2017 XT. My ABS light has remained on while operating since the day I purchased it. I assumed that just meant the ABS was on and working. So, I have a problem that I didn't know about?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have a 2017 XT. My ABS light has remained on while operating since the day I purchased it. I assumed that just meant the ABS was on and working. So, I have a problem that I didn't know about?
Likely, on the early models with ABS the red ABS light comes on when you startup the bike and then goes off shortly after you start driving.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts