StromTrooper banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No doubt my ABS light issue and my instrument panel flip-out is due to me washing my bike. Whats up with that? My instrument panel looks like it loses connection plus I get the red light after all the bars fill up.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Underneath the large front (left) side panel is the main wiring harness for everything up front ) including the instrument panel)... If you haven't already done so, maybe you can start with making sure the plug there is securely connected...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Any time the clock reads CHEC, the red light goes on and the right side bars will fill to help call attention to it. Did you get a CHEC? If the bike runs in that mode, it means the signal from the ECM that everything is okay is not getting to the instrument panel. The usual cause for that is a bad connection in the large connector under the rubber cover in the fairing. The usual causes for a bad connection are water causing corrosion or overheating due to the headlight draw being more the the contact can handle over time. Clean up the connections, use dielectric grease to keep the water off and install headlight relays to take the load off the connector.

·
38,103 Posts
Are you using a hose on your bike? Except for following up a degreaser for oil on the engine or salt on the bike I never do. The bike is set up to keep rain out of the electrics but a hose sends water under pressure to places it shouldn't go, especially under the seat and in the fairing. Be especially careful not to get detergent into electrical connections. Except for a Mr. Clean magic eraser on powder coated or engine parts, A micro fiber cloth and Pledge or Plexus is all I use the painted and plastic parts. I don't ride in dirt so don't have any hints about that. I've seen so many problems reported after washing I've gotten to dislike seeing the word. I clean my bike.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx for all the input. First of all I'd like to go thru the process of what symptoms I was having after I washed the bike. First, I noticed a difference in my headlights and gauges lights whenever I used my turning signals or even idled, they would all dim or pulsate. 2nd, my ABS light came on and stayed on, 3rd, my instrument panel/gauges went nuts or were basically cutting out.

How did I solve this??? I have no idea. I took the battery out, pulled the ABS fuses out and re-inserted them, took the left side piece off under or near the tank and just started looking and touching some the wires that I could reach. I then took off the right handle switch and just moved things around and then I sprayed silicone spray on my kickstand.....hehe! All I know is that my ABS light is long gone and my instrument panel is back to 100%. Go figure.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Pat, as an aside, what is the preferred method for cleaning the bike? I was tempted to pick up a hose to rinse off the motor (grease on it so I was thinking of using a car wash on the exposed bits down low).

Thanks.

·
38,103 Posts
I'll use a garden hose to wash degreaser off the engine but won't use a pressure washer on anything unless I'm away from home and don't have access to a garden hose. I'll keep the pressure low in that case. I take care to keep water away from the under seat area, the bearings and the fairing. See reply #4 for the rest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts