StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to extend the front brake line on my 650ABS model in order to install higher bars. I asked around at the dealer today and nobody seemed to know if you can use steel lines with ABS brakes. For their part, they put a call in to Suzuki.

What's the general wisdom from here?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The material doesn't matter. As long as the lengths and fitting are appropriate there's no problem. I expect the lengths and fittings are really what the question is about though.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The material doesn't matter. As long as the lengths and fitting are appropriate there's no problem. I expect the lengths and fittings are really what the question is about though.
The parts guy seemed to think that steel lines "wouldn't have the flex that ABS needed" and even though that doesn't make ANY sense to me, I backed off from challenging him while he went to ask the service manager. He did call Suzuki in my presence and left a message for his contact there. We'll see what they have to say. Haven't heard yet -- the guy obviously took the day off to go riding. :-D

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
They use steel lines on cars with ABS, and the braking systems put out more pressure than the systems on bikes. Automotive systems put out 1600+psi, so I think you'd be ok with steel lines on the bike.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am going to need a longer brake line to install risers on my 07 ABS as well .. The kits come with two lines, but I appears we only need one?? Am I wrong? Can a person order a single, custom brake line?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Typically, the stock brake has a junction with three shorter lines, one from the master cylinder splitting into two for the calipers, while the SS kits go directly from the master cylinder to the calipers with two longer lines.

·
Clever Title
515 Posts
Stainless steel lines are a 'required' farkle on XS1100 projects, much like a Madstad bracket is on a Strom. Riders who have installed them report improved brake response, stronger lockup, and shorter stopping distances. Granted, on these bikes you're replacing a 27-year-old rubber brake line, but stainless steel-clad lines *do* flex less than straight rubber. I don't have a source handy, but searching XS11.com should come up with some vendors.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Damn. Just found this thread after starting my own. I also need to extend the line to install my risers. It is a single going to the junction block, which then splits to the ABS as well as the two calipers. You only need a single line, but I'm thinking I might as well do all 3 while I'm at it. All 3 are short lines with banjo fittings on both ends. I've looked up Spiegler and it's pretty easy to create custom lines. I just need to find out if the banjos are 10mm or 11.2mm.

Another thing to consider, some ABS systems (aka BMW F650), require you hook them up to the diagnostic module to open the actuator valves. This is the only way to bleed the entire system. I'm still trying to find out if this is the case for the VStrom unit, which I hear are the same as the BMWs.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn. Just found this thread after starting my own. I also need to extend the line to install my risers.
I did mine yesterday. Ended up creating my own brake line from parts. Used a 17" hose and two 30 degree banjo bolts. The aftermarket hose was $16 and the ends were $9 each, purchased from my local Honda/Suzuki dealer. It took two days for the order to come in.

No big deal to install it. Loosened the bottom bolt and drained the fluid into a cup, removed the old hose, installed the new one, topped the reservoir off with new DOT 4 fluid, and kept pumping the brake over the course of an hour to get the air out. I was doing other farkling on the bike at the time, or I would have gone out to get a bleeder hose to get the air out the usual way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts