StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Saturday I was faced with a bad situation. I was riding 35mph on a road with one lane each way. As I approach a small road on the right, a car appeared and stopped.I moved to the middle of the road to make myself more visible as there was a mailbox obstructing the drivers view. I watched the driver look my way and made eye contact. My focus progressed to the road ahead and the traffic on both lanes of travel. The next thing I see is the car pull out maybe 15 feet from me . I swerved hard left then back right again to avoid the traffic in the other lane. It proved too much to stay upright and down I went, landing on my left side and sliding and rolling back over to my side of the road. I was assisted by a group of bikers on a poker run, all of whom were off duty paramedics, firefighters and police officers who witnessed the crash. To a man they agreed that I had no chance and did the best anyone could under the circumstances. The driver of course said the usual"I'm sorry-I didn't see you" despite the hi vis jacket.
The end result is a small patch of road rash on my left arm, a huge 10"x10" ugly bruise on my left hip and two fractures of my right wrist that will not require surgery.
My full set of gear took the brunt, gloves, pants and helmet are done for, but my jacket looks fine. The bike has been looked at by the insurance co. $3700 in damage, but that was the drivers agent, mine is going to look on Monday. Good thing I had the Givi engine guards installed last month!
Too bad though-Fall is my favorite time to ride.
As always-be careful out there!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Glad to hear you're relatively ok. Wishing you (and your bike) a speedy recovery. Hope to see you back on the road soon!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I watched the driver look my way and made eye contact. ..."I'm sorry-I didn't see you"
Seeing is not noticing. Eye contact is not brain contact.

Sherlock Holmes to Dr. Watson: "I see no more than you, but I have trained myself to notice what I see."

ATGATT. All The Gear All The Time. Would any different gear have protected you better?

Take your time settling with that guy's insurance company. Be sure you are made whole--bike, protective gear, you. Get the police report as soon as possible and check it for accuracy and completeness. Get corrections made if necessary and possible.

Best of luck. Get well.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
I've started turning on my high beams in these situations.

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
wow - glad you're "OK"......bet you've been running the sequence in you head over and over and over, trying to find out if there were any trap doors you coulda squeezed thru.....don't let it drive you nuttz.

Once again, bravo for wearing your gear. Every bit helps!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Glad you are OK.

Best riding advice I ever got: assume you are invisible. I ride like nobody can see me.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Glad you are "relatively" OK. Broken wrist and damaged bike...not good.

I've taken to SMIDSY maneuvers, but even that probably wouldn't have helped in your situation. The driver was brain-dead.

And I agree with the 'take your time' approach to settling with insurance...you need the bike and gear, as well as future medical issues, addressed. Get as many witness statements as possible.

Again, glad to hear you survived to ride another day!

·
Registered
858 Posts
well, any crash you can walk away from...

as others have said, take your time with insurance. the first offer is usually a "go away" lowball they hope you take. get a real world, full on quality estamate from a shop you trust. he should be paying for your gear, and your pain and suffering, too.

·
Super Moderator
4,615 Posts
Glad you're OK - and that you have a bunch of witnesses who are not just Joe Public!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lesson Taken

As a new rider I find these posts are very helpful to learn from. So sorry to hear of your accident. Glad you and the bike are on the mend. I just saw an ad today for the Armored Air Jacket. I wonder if anyone has experience with it.

·
$orry $ucka
476 Posts
It's easy to get complacent as the season rolls on. I'm guilty myself. Quite a sneaky complacency, though. It's not like I get on the bike and think to myself "OK, today I'll trust that the cages will not turn left in front of me nor will they pull out in front of me from driveways and cross-streets."

Glad you're OK. Machines are replaceable.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mishap. It could have been worse.
Same thing almost happened to me twice in a one-mile tretch of two-lane at dusk yesterday.

Assumining invisibility is almost not enough, sometimes I get a whiff of lethal intent from some cages.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
As a new rider I find these posts are very helpful to learn from. So sorry to hear of your accident. Glad you and the bike are on the mend. I just saw an ad today for the Armored Air Jacket. I wonder if anyone has experience with it.
From what I have learned of them I don't think it would have prevented any of the OP's injuries. The real value I see in them is to prevent some neck injuries. The ones that have inflation in the collar would seem to provide stabilization in that very vulnerable area.

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
The silver lining? Better fall than spring? Hope you heal well and the dumb-ass and his ins. co. get to write you a big check.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I've started turning on my high beams in these situations.
That's a tricky one. Many folks think that a high beam flash is your acknowledgment for them to proceed. Even if you switch it on steady rather than a flash, they might only see the initial flash before they look elsewhere.

We used to be neighbors. I was raised in lovely Vallejo....

·
Registered
988 Posts
Been there with the late-season crash/broken bone thingie. The ONLY cool thing about it was that I paraded the X-ray around the office until people got sick of seeing me coming their way. We now have a wall of pain, where we post X-rays of broken body parts.

Heal well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I watched the driver look my way and made eye contact. My focus progressed to the road ahead and the traffic on both lanes of travel.
Don't ever let your focus progress to anything else until you pass the most imminent threat, the car turning left that you assume saw you.

Glad you're pretty much okay.....we all know it could have been wayyy worse.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts