StromTrooper banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day ladies and gentlemen!

I may be about to complete the circle - I'm maybe buying a Strom again. My first bike was a Wee. Since the Wee, I've been riding a Triumph Sprint RS955i which is a lovely bike but I kept missing riding on gravel roads.... so I bought a Yamaha XT660R instead. Now this bike is serious fun on gravel roads and even off road but for touring it's honestly quite terrible. Lot of vibration and zero wind protection. So next spring I will sell it and buy something else.

Next bike might be a...*drumroll* Veestrom or Kawasaki KLV1000.

A few questions: The DL1000 stock seat is higher than on the Wee. Is it also softer/better? One thing I seriously disliked about the Wee was the seat. Not even an Airhawk II could heal it.

I've heard about the stock misalignment between front sprocket and back sprocket - is this a serious problem which should be fixed right away?

Anyone here that has owned or at least ridden both KLV and DL? Any differences? Kawasaki seems to be better equipped with stock adjustable windscreen and a different seat, anything else I should know?

Cheers guys and gals, keep the shiny side up!

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Seats are personal so no opinion. My stock Vee seat is fine for me but I took off windshield so different.

Many many alternatives

I think sprocket deal is VooDoo for like 2002 to 2004. Mostly I think it is a poor design over stress cush hub bearing. I will be PMing mine this winter

A Vee is not a dirt bike it is an OK Dirt Road bike

When if you get one just take care of the fuel map one way or the other and enjoy.

Now that it will be 10 years old with 2012 being out there is a reasonable;e cure for all the problems if you find on yours

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
A few questions: The DL1000 stock seat is higher than on the Wee. Is it also softer/better?
The DL1000 seat is 20mm thicker than the 650s and more comfortable. I did 1030 miles in one day with a DL1000 seat plus a sheepskin on my DL650 and could still walk at the end of the day.

I've heard about the stock misalignment between front sprocket and back sprocket - is this a serious problem which should be fixed right away?
It varies with the individual bike and rider. Some riders think it's a terrific modification and some don't consider it important. The clutch chudder noise complaint is about 50/50 also.

Kawasaki seems to be better equipped with stock adjustable windscreen and a different seat, anything else I should know?
The KLV1000 is the same bike as a DL1000 of the same year except for paint and logos. Only the 2002-2003 DLs had fixed windshield positions. All years and models of the 1000 have the same seat.
See DL1000 Through the Years! for changes in different years.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
We have two Vee Stroms in our garage. The alignment of the sprockets has not been an issue on either one. We both have over 25,000 miles.

If you get a wee the first thing I would do is get rid of the seat. I just spent a week on one and I must say the wee stock seat was torture on my knees in about an hour.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Greywolf: 1030 miles in one day on my old Wee with the stock seat would have been an impossible feat. The DL1000 seat must be A LOT better! :)

@cbrxxcess: I know, after 150 miles my knees and butt hur like hell with the stock seat. I had a Richland Ricks footpeg lowering kit and an airhawk and while these mods gave me a few more miles without the pain, they couldn't fix the problem completely. If I buy another V-Strom or a KLV, the seat will be the first thing to upgrade.

Thank you for your answers!

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
[...] I did 1030 miles in one day with a DL1000 seat plus a sheepskin on my DL650 and could still walk at the end of the day.[...]
The question is not whether one can still walk at the end of the day; that is irrelevant. The question is whether one can still ride another 1000 miles the next day; that is the true test of a seat.

I agree that the 1k seat is better than the 650's. It's nowhere near the comfort of my 81 GS1100's seat though (best motorcycle seat I've ever ridden on).

I can ride 2 days on the 650 seat, but day 3 hurts. Strangely, I can do a whole week on my k100, and that seat has the shape and texture of a brick (I'm still trying to figure that one out).

There's plenty of aftermarket seats with tons of "tech" added (including "always with wings" and vibrators), but everyone is different, and there's never going to be a better solution than a custom job, and no-one can do that better than the rider; figure out what doesn't work for you and modify your seat accordingly (it's just a bunch of staples and some foam).

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
I think that the suspension has some effect on your impression of the seat

Over soft foam will feel good until a big bump and it compresses completely and your but is basically on the seat pan... Impact

My Vee without windshield I have done 3 days in a row of 400 + miles 2 lane sport riding. I move around a lot an the airstream lifts the body

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that the suspension has some effect on your impression of the seat

Over soft foam will feel good until a big bump and it compresses completely and your but is basically on the seat pan... Impact

My Vee without windshield I have done 3 days in a row of 400 + miles 2 lane sport riding. I move around a lot an the airstream lifts the body
I used to ride my Weestrom without windshield too because no matter how I adjusted it, the wind shook my helmet a lot. I could also hear the engine/exhaust sound better without the windshield which was nice. Guess a madstad and a Givi windshield are on the mandatory accessories list too together with a better seat and Richland Ricks footpeg lowering kit. :)

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
I agree that the 1k seat is better than the 650's. It's nowhere near the comfort of my 81 GS1100's seat though (best motorcycle seat I've ever ridden on).
Gotta agree - I had an 81 GS550, and the seat was wonderful. My son in law recently bought a 81 GS850 [his first bike], and it's seat is equally wonderful......A lost art, apparently..........

·
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
What?

Never heard of the sprocket misalignment issue. My '08 Wee has almost 50k and no issues in that regard.

As others have said, seats are a matter of your weight, build, preference, etc. Some like the stock seat, others hate it. Some like the Corbin's, I bought one and hated it. I ended up with a Suzuki gel seat under an Alaska Leather sheep skin with a piece of 1/2" rubber yoga mat glued underneath. Works perfect for me and I sat on it for 30 days and 10k miles on my Alaska trip last year. I'm 5'6" and 170 lbs with a bony ass. It's good to have Vstrom friends who will let you try theirs vs spending lots of coin on 3 different seats like I did until you find the right one.

·
38,103 Posts
Never heard of the sprocket misalignment issue. My '08 Wee has almost 50k and no issues in that regard.
It is a possible issue only on the 1000.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts