StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I did a search and didn't see this specific problem mentioned before so here I go: My '03 DL1000 oil usage has been very consistent up until now. I just had my 90,000 mile valve adjustment and general tuneup and immediately after noticed my first oil leak ever. I also discovered that with just three quarts of oil in it my oil level went beyond the top of the sight glass when I checked it on my centerstand on level ground as I have always done. It should be just to the normal fill line. The dealer said the leak was caused by worn threads on the engine casing at the oil fill bolt and fixed that with an insert but they didn't address the unusually high oil problem. I took it back again but they had no new ideas. I am suspicious because this problem started immediately after a tuneup. I've posted to the Yahoo! V-Strom group but haven't gotten a definitive solution so some suggested I post here. The first thought is that coolant is leaking into the oil. However the dealer said the oil was clean when they changed it while fixing the aforementioned oil leak. Some other ideas are that the check valve in the new oil filter is faulty or that a check valve in the oil cooler might be stuck open and letting oil back into the engine that would normally be retained in the cooler. I don't want to drain any oil because I know there are only three quarts in there but I worry about the possible effects of it being overfilled or that some part of the engine is blocked and isn't getting oil at all. Any ideas?

Brian

·
Registered
984 Posts
Oil level

The service tech at your dealer likely overfilled it. Drain it down to the normal level in the sight glass and watch it for a couple of days. If it doesn't change there's no problem. I don't think there are any check valves in the filter or cooler. If there was coolant in the oil it would look milky in your sight glass. Does it?

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Can you see if the oil filter is new?

If the tech forgot to change the filter and then put in the recommended amount of oil for a with-the-filter-change you'd be too full.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
The first thought is that coolant is leaking into the oil. However the dealer said the oil was clean when they changed it while fixing the aforementioned oil leak.
If that were the case the oil would look a milky colour and look a lot like a milkshake.
I agree with what is above.

1. The sight glass is correct. There is no possible malfunction there so if it says you have too much oil in there you do have too much oil in there.

2. Overfilling by the service dealer is the probable cause. They either did not change the filter, did not drain the existing oil properly or just plain can't work out how much to put in.

It's important that you drain some oil somehow. Overfilling the engine oil can cause internal seals to blow because of increased pressure.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I did my first oil and filter change myself at 500 miles. I looked at the manual and the shop manual before doing this. I was using Suzuki OEM filter and oil. Drained the bike after warm for a good 20 minutes. Changed filter and put 2.5 qts. of oil in. Bike was on ground when checking and I had a level on the luggage rack to make sure it was vertically up. The oil went to the top of the glass. For some reason mine did not take 2.9 qts. with the filter change. I rode it for about 3-4 miles came back and checked again after 3 minutes of letting the oil drain down from the engine. Same thing. I still have that .5 qts. in my garage. Everything seems to be running fine so far.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If I take the time I can often get another 1/2 cup or so of oil out by waiting for all the oil to drain then rocking the bike from side to side and pulling the front end up while on the center stand. Not unusual that it won't take a full 2.9 qts. There will always be a little oil left in the bottom of the pan, sticking to parts and in nooks and crannies.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
The oil level should be checked with the bike level and both wheels on the ground. Since the glass is forward on the case, using the centerstand will show a fuller condition.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If you usually have some else change your oil & oil filter, you might consider putting a mark on the filter so you can ID it after a service. Some people just sctach the housing a bit. Paint comes off & you can easily spot it w/o drama. I caught a VW tech stealing oil filters use on the TDI motor by using this simple method. Now I do it myself.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Changed the oil yesterday on my DL1K3. I let the old oil drain out for a good long time, and it was only a trickle for a good while, but it adds up. Filter was new from the dealer when I got the bike, so left it on.

I was shocked it took exactly 2.9 qts to bring it to the full mark. When I got the bike, the dealer had just done the oil and filter, and it was at the top of the sight glass which is above full.

Also changed the coolant and it took the exact amount the book called for.

No more info to share other than my bike seems to take what it says it should take.

The sight glass however is super sensitive to SMALL changes in bike position, so expect to have a little variance. I had my son look at the glass while I sat on the bike in a level garage and I added oil til it was right on.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
IMNSHO, if you change the oil change the filter. Yes I know Suzuki only recommends you change it every 3rd oil change :rolleyes:

Changed the oil yesterday on my DL1K3. I let the old oil drain out for a good long time, and it was only a trickle for a good while, but it adds up. Filter was new from the dealer when I got the bike, so left it on.

I was shocked it took exactly 2.9 qts to bring it to the full mark. When I got the bike, the dealer had just done the oil and filter, and it was at the top of the sight glass which is above full.

Also changed the coolant and it took the exact amount the book called for.

No more info to share other than my bike seems to take what it says it should take.

The sight glass however is super sensitive to SMALL changes in bike position, so expect to have a little variance. I had my son look at the glass while I sat on the bike in a level garage and I added oil til it was right on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, thank you all for responding. I tried to be succint in my initial question but in doing so I left out some details. The dealer changed my oil twice, once at the tuneup and once when they fixed the oil leak. I use Mobil One 15-50 and for both oil changes I only brought in three quarts so that's all that should be in the engine unless the tech topped it off with some other oil. Significantly, after both oil changes the level *was normal* when I got it back from the dealer. After one day of commuting (125 miles) the level then read high so the level seemed to change once the engine got used. Both times it sat for several days at the dealer before I picked it up so any oil up in the engine would have flowed to the bottom by that time. They say they changed the filter at the tuneup and I trust them but I like the idea of marking the old filter before I take it in so I'll do that in the future. Whether I measure the oil level the exact proper way seems not so important to me as the fact that I have consistently measured it the same way for roughly thirty oil changes now and this is the first time I have noticed anything unusual. Based on everyone's input I guess I'll drain some oil out at least to get it below the top of the sight glass. I will be doing the next oil change myself so I know there won't be any monkey business and I'll see how things look then. Thanks again for your input everyone.

Brian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts