StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't stand it! I was about to buy another bike [I won't mention the model :lol: ], and now I find I've just got to have one of these things. The idea that it's like my old KLR650 only faster, smoother, has brakes....it's too much to resist. I haven't even tested one and I know exactly how it will feel. Damn. And it actually has wind protection that doesn't make the rider feel like he's been slapped continuously for 299 miles?
But the really big question -- will the handguards from the DL1000 fit onto it? 8) 8) 8)

·
Registered
213 Posts
is anybody buying one

If they don't I'm sure someone in the aftermarket will be making some.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm buying one.. Waiting for next week. Actually, local dealer in Istanbul says it is already in customs zone.

Probably they are waiting for this month (February), they plan to start selling at the same time in USA and Europe.

I hope I will post my pic here "with my black V-Strom 650" in ten days..
(If I can bear to be alive for ten days :) . Sometiems time passes so slowly! )

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, I am buying one. I have had a deal worked out with my dealer since October. I am getting very impatient though.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered one from a dealer in Duluth, Mn in Dec, they say it should be here sometime between the end of Feb and the end of March. Sat on an sv-650 last year and thought it would be nice, if it had taller bars and a bigger fairing, and what do you know, they came out with the DL-650. Have not even seen one and the dealer had to ask me what the list price was going to be! Made the deal for 400 below retail. Up here they sell more atv's and snowmobiles, don't think they expect to sell too many v-stroms. So, this is a leap of faith for me, buying a bike without even seeing one. The press on it sounds positive, and I like the concept, so I think it will be a good choice. Currently have a cruiser and find that the riding position is hell on my back and ass after more than a half hour on the road. Hope this one will be better. Now if the 2 feet of snow on the ground whould go away, I could get out and do some riding!

THINK SPRING

·
Registered
213 Posts
DL650

I think you will really like it. I love my DL1000 a lot. I would have thought real hard about the 650 and was disappointed that they made it a 1000 ccs. I think the 650 will make a great all around bike for those of us who do most of our riding 1 up.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today I called the dealer... Yes, Monday DL 650's will be there and Tuesday or Thursday I will have my first bike!!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
dl650

Tedder

Good to hear hope you can get out and put somes miles on it right away and report back. My friend is thinking about replacing his SV650. I sure hope he does so I can ride it whenever I want. Hope your weather improves this week like ours is suppose to.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Howboucha Tedder!
Wow, you are probable one of the first in the US to get one. THat is cool. Would you want to be the administrator for the DL650 Forums?
Send me a note via the board to let me know.
Brendan

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Really?

Odd. They've been in Canadian dealerships for better than 2 weeks now....wonder why the US got theirs later?

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First Dl 650s of Istanbul

Today my dealer invited me! Guess why?

It was magnificent to see my black v strom 650 without front tire and packaged. I hate myself because I have forgetten to take my camera..

Tomorrow it will be in my garage but it has to stay there for a few days because it's gonna snow here for several days.

Anyway, I hope tomorrow or Thursday morning some pics of it will be here..

·
Registered
3 Posts
:D

I took delivery of mine (blue) on 13-Dec-03 in Vancouver, BC. I have no idea why the thing was in so early - I'm not going to complain. So far I have about 1200 kms on it and I am very impressed. I've had to ride it in a bunch of nasty weather (even got caught in the snow once) and find it quite good for all of that. Don't really have time to post detailed impressions, but I really am enjoying it so far.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Howboucha

Howboucha, thanks for the offer and everything. I'm a little too busy to moderate, but I'll certainly try to contribute.

Now the bad news: I'm one of the first in the U.S. to take delivery, and I'm certainly one of the first to crash one. I had a vehicle merge into me on Saturday (the day it was delivered). I did a little bodysurfing down the freeway.

I'm mostly okay, but the bike is pretty trashed. I'm talking to her insurance company, who will be covering it. If I'm lucky, I might get to buy back a totalled 650. The engine is pristine, and the rear half is pretty nice too.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Howboucha

tedder said:
I'm mostly okay, but the bike is pretty trashed
Tedder,

Glad to hear you are okay! What gear were you wearing and how fast were you going? How did the gear hold up

·
Registered
355 Posts
I was wearing tons of gear. I don't leave the house with out sturdy steel-tipped boots, Hein Gerike or Firstgear pants over jeans, Tour Master 3/4 length winter coat, and nice comfy gloves. Oh, and an Arai helmet, which never came into play.

I was going ~55mph in a 60mph zone when a vehicle changed lanes into me.

My worst injury is a sprained knee; I was certainly lucky. I've got the bike, I'll send pictures after I settle on the vehicle replacement.

The gear held up quite well. The boots are scarred down to the steel toe, and the seams have come apart on the pants and jacket. The armor shows wear (of course), but it only wore through in one spot- in the pants, on the butt. My jeans have a hole in the pocket, but it didn't wear through the main layer.

I was very lucky, and I was able to mitigate the damage too. The bike is pretty trashed, of course. I'm hoping to use that to _our_ advantage, since I can do a teardown on it without being worried. But more on that when I know about the adjustment on the bike.

Cheers all,
-ted

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did the lady wip over into your lane and you had lay the bike down to keep from hitting the car or did the car make contact with you?
I guessing she was busy bullshitting on the phone huh?
It's good you didn't get hurt, your taking it hell of alot better than I would have taken it!!

freediver GA

1 - 20 of 32 Posts