StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't believe I've already managed to get a couple small scratches on my beautiful new Strom! On that gorgeous orange too!!

So, anyone know where I can get:

1. Matching touch up paint?

2. A clear paint protective kit for a 2012 Strom 650?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Ummmm I hope you dont plan on off roading it then....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
329 Posts
Color Rite should have the Fox Orange paint. Check their web site. Aerostitch sells a product called Sniders Paint Guard. It's a clear film designed to protect paint from soft luggage, bungee and other assorted scratches.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Have you actually tried the Colorite touch up pen? How was the color match, and how easy/hard was it to apply?

·
Registered
15,249 Posts
I don't know about Color Rite pens but the BMW pens were an approximation to the color. Especially if there is any sun fading. I know, your bike is new but I'm sure there are variations is the factory paint jobs.
Good luck on the spot repairs!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nah, I thought so too but after seeing a gs800 parked next to me last night, I realized there's quite a bit of difference. The BMW color is quite a bit darker; more reddish.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I love Maguires Scratch X. I have used it for years and still amazed at the scratches that it can help with. PLUS it is super easy to use and available at most auto parts stores.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I love Maguires Scratch X. I have used it for years and still amazed at the scratches that it can help with. PLUS it is super easy to use and available at most auto parts stores.
It also worked on the car; some idiot left a sample of their paint on my front right fender. After the guy at the dealership pushed the dent back out (that itself was a really neat process) the Scratch-X finished the job and returned the paint to like-new.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Rydah, where are your scratches? You may be able to get a couple of Tech Spec grip pads to put on the sides, and they have one that covers almost the entire rear of the tank also. Cheers--BB

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry for the late response. I haven't tried Colorite yet. I found the company after trying to find some black touch up paint for the F800GS I had (fell over and scratched up the black part but not the Lava orange paint). Guess which color they didn't have for the 2011 F800GS; yup no black. And because I live in California, the BMW dealer can't sell any touch up paint (something about not meeting some air quality standard or such nonsense).

Color rite having Fox orange for the DL650 is another reason I'm happy I switched.

X

·
Registered
226 Posts
For the record, new tank covers are ~$130 each, I've considered to have a replacement set on hand since any off-roading will accumulate dings/scratches even with crash bars installed (or let's say even without laying the bike over). Might seem extravagant but if you really care for the bike's appearance, might be worth trading the effort of occasional remove+replace (and dealing with industrial strength velcro) for not going through the uncertain touchup effort.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Have you actually tried the Colorite touch up pen? How was the color match, and how easy/hard was it to apply?
I used Colorite on my last bike, using a pen with base color then the final coat. They can be difficult to use, you have to pump the tip to get the paint to flow, then its to much paint. I would get a very fine paint brush and put some of the paint in another container and use the paintbrush to very slowly fill the scratch. If you need to use a base color, apply it until it opaque then the final color.

John

·
Registered
140 Posts
I used Colorite on my last bike, using a pen with base color then the final coat. They can be difficult to use, you have to pump the tip to get the paint to flow, then its to much paint.
John
I agree with the Colorite pens. The one I got for my FZ1 didn't match the color very well either.

Where are the scratches? On the tank covers?

Check out techspec, I believe they have some clear protectors. I like these, because they will help lock your knee into the tank when you are going through the twisties. Very grippy and they can be removed with no residue.

TechSpec USA

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yeah, I got some scratches on the rear seat grab bar, from when I use the helmet lock (screw end under the seat scratched it up several times before I noticed). Damn...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts