StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really interested on buying a V Strom as my next bike. My wife and I love touring and currently have a Kawasaki GTR 1000 (Concours) I would be interested in what you all think is the best way to go for my wife and I, wanting a bike that will suite us as a touring bike.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The bikes themselves are about the same as far as rider and passenger comfort, the seats are allllmost identical, etc.
So the main difference is the power, I hear that the Wee is a bit smoother engine though.
Far as I can tell, the Wee would have NO problems hauling a passenger and gear around.
I live in the mountains and it has Plenty of power.
~John

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have never ridden a Vee but own a Wee and, for highway riding, I wish I had the 1000. From everything I have read, the Wee is much better for dirt road riding but I only ride on pavement and, although the Wee is great around town, I would be more comfortable on the highway with a bigger bike.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you cruise no more than 80 or 90 tops, the 650 works fine. I find with my monster windshield, hardcases, general junk, and a passenger, that it runs out of steam pretty quickly at about 100 mph, but up to that point I really have no complaints, other than passing takes a little more time, but really its not like its slow. I drove the 1000, and while I liked the power, I like the balance and smoothness of my 650 better. Either one you pick I don't think you can go wrong, and my passenger loves the room & the ride.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The 1000 is no longer made so its whatever is left in stock. The 650 is still produced. I am also sure ABS is only on the 650.

·
Administrator
17,508 Posts
Concours 1400.............:yesnod:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Concours 1400.............:yesnod:
What he said. If you want a reserve of power go with the Concours. The V-stom 1000 seems too big and tall for 2 up touring to me. The Wee can do it but you'll sort of be tapping out it's power 2 up with lots of gear IMO.

I don't do 2 up touring but if I did, I'd probably have a Harley Road Glide Ultra..

·
Registered
831 Posts
The 1000 is no longer made so its whatever is left in stock. The 650 is still produced. I am also sure ABS is only on the 650.
Big Squid writes from Australia, where the big Strom does appear to remain available for purchase from new.
V Strom 1000 | 2010 | Dual Purpose | Dual Purpose | Suzuki Motorcycles, Motorbikes & ATVs Australia

ABS was and is available on the 650.
V Strom 650 Abs | 2011 | Dual Purpose | Dual Purpose | Suzuki Motorcycles, Motorbikes & ATVs Australia

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
If you cruise no more than 80 or 90 tops, the 650 works fine. I find with my monster windshield, hardcases, general junk, and a passenger, that it runs out of steam pretty quickly at about 100 mph, but up to that point I really have no complaints, other than passing takes a little more time, but really its not like its slow. I drove the 1000, and while I liked the power, I like the balance and smoothness of my 650 better. Either one you pick I don't think you can go wrong, and my passenger loves the room & the ride.
+1

DL650 Pros: 1) If your wife is not into aggressive acceleration or very high speed touring the DL650 will have plenty of power 2-up even without excessive downshifting; 2) A little more nimble, and off road capable, than DL1000 and a lot more nimble than Connie 1000 or newer 1400; 3) Full-size, light weight, bargain value.

DL1000 Pros: 1) Better than Wee if when 2-up you and your wife BOTH love hard acceleration or 90+mph sweepers; 2) same full size as DL650

Connie 1400 Pros: 1) The most features and horsepower and still a reasonable price if you have the money; 2) The ultimate open road powerhouse sport tourer if don't mind breaking 100 mph every time you rev out second gear in the city!

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have a DL650 with a large screen, I weigh 80kg, wife weighs 60kg (she doesnt know Im posting that figure) our luggage is tank+pannier+rack bag and we live in the mountains, the 650 has no trouble, especially on the open highway plus excellent fuel economy on the long journeys.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would be interested in what you all think is the best way to go for my wife and I, wanting a bike that will suite us as a touring bike.
If you want a touring bike, there are better choices than either V-Strom; a Goldwing for example, or a HD Classic. If you want something more spirited, then the new Concours or the Honda ST give you better fairings (which are great for long rides) and are very smooth, but still offer lively performance in the curves.

I don't agree with the thinking that the main benefit to a bigger engine is that it allows you to tear around at breakneck speeds. More power means it's easier on the bike to run all day under a load, like riding two-up. And there are times when having plenty of power can keep you out of trouble.

I love my Wee, but if what you need is a bike for touring then I wouldn't suggest a dual sport bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts