StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to help my buddy replace his rectifier. Ran ye olde diode test on it and sure enough it's blown. Here's where it gets interesting:

Title say 2007
VIN says 2009
Manufacture date is 09/08

Say what? Since the K7 and the K8/K9 use a different rectifier so we are not sure which part to order. Be happy to get an upgraded rectifier (series) but still have the problem of proper identification.
Not sure this will help but on the rectifier itself on the side with the wires (all black, no yellow)are the expected wires and above them on top "RX41 4TGI"
and below that "14 8113"

Help would be greatly appreciated. I have never run into an issue like this before.

doc_simple
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
I'm guessing somebody screwed up the title. Odds are, Suzuki knew what time it was, since the VIN and manufacture date agree. For all intents and purposes, its a K9.

I would advise going with a series R/R, being a recent convert myself. OEM is seriously overpriced and unreliable for what it is so don't bother. I put the SH847 that I bought from Roadstercycle on my Vee and it was super easy, as long as you have some mild experience with automotive wiring. And it was only like $40 more, including the bracket. It runs very cool even in the less than optimal location on the Vee (behind the seat trim plastic) and the voltage is a remarkably stable 14-14.5 V even at idle.

It will matter less which model you have anyway, since you'll have to fashion a way to connect the stator to it (either directly wire, or make/buy an adapter), and the kit sold bypasses the OEM harness and goes straight to the battery with a 30A fuse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bud. It's a friend's bike and we agreed with you that his 07 is really an 09. It's a crazy mixed up world I tell ya 😂

I pushed for the series upgrade but it's my friend's bike and he wanted stock. There is just no explaining things to some boneheads.
So I popped the stator cap and sure enough it was burnt so we have all the parts on order. The stealership wanted $1000. We got parts for $400 which as far as I can tell leaves $600 for 🍺
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top