StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went do to Best Buy to try and figure out this GPS mounting dilemma. My bike is new to me, and I don't really want to go running a couple holes through any part of my dash, I also don't have scrap metal laying around, nor a way to bend it nicely if I did. I don't have ingenuity, creativity, time or patience. But thank goodness I had $16 and a Best Buy near by....oh and 3 black zip ties.

Here is what I did.

The mount is made by IQ Smart Solutions, and the model is the ZR Universal GPS Mount. It comes with attachments for all the major brand GPS units (I have a Garmin).

I was planning on trying to use the 3M Sticky Pad to stick the base to the windshield down behind the windshield bracket...but then I realized something.

If I leave the suction cup piece and the sticky pad piece off the base plate, it squeezes down between the windshield bracket and the plastic housing for the gauges...LIKE A GLOVE! I crammed it down in there, adjusted the angle for the GPS and took off around the block without any problems. I decided that this probably wasn't save for the long haul (especially on anything rough) so I grabbed a couple zip ties and got creative. Here are some photos, sorry a couple are blurry but you will get the drift. This was the easiest thing I have ever done, and absolutely NO permanent damage to the bike at all. I could easily take the windscreen off and cut the 3 zip ties and it would come right off.

I hope this helps a few people out. Cheers!

Here is the page from their website, you can see the base unit has a screw on the top of it, this screw simply holds on which ever of the two base pieces you want (suction cup or 3M sticker). Without that screw on their and without the suction cup or 3M sticker the thickness of that base unit is PERFECT to stuff down in between the windscreen bracket and bike.

Here it is complete with the package so you know what to look for.

From the front without the windscreen.

From the handlebars without the windscreen.

From the side...You can see that third smaller looped zip tie. That was because the Garmin attachment kept trying to slide out of the base unit. I slapped that on there and it isn't going anywhere!

With the screen, plenty of room there for a larger GPS if you have one.

All done!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am anticipating some vibration, but I haven't run it up past 30 mph yet with it on there. It's 97 degrees outside right now....so it's going to have to wait a few more hours or until tomorrow when I am going over to a buddies to get power to the GPS unit. The ride down to his house is about 40 minutes at freeway speeds, that will be a good test. It either works...or the GPS will be scattered down the side of the freeway :(

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We were typing at the same time. It doesn't have power yet. I am going to put a cigarette lighter 12V plug someplace tomorrow and just plug it in running cord through a small hole (it's already there, where two pieces of plastic meet) behind the windscreen mount. I will take some photos. I am not sure where the plug will be yet (maybe under the seat, maybe under the dash...not sure).

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I run into vibration issues, I might try to get some padding down between the windscreen bracket and the dash, I think if I remove a few screws I can get it wide enough to fit some rubber strips in there, and then sandwich it all back together.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I logged 300 miles this weekend on an overnight touring trip. The GPS was sweet! There was very little if any vibration. I ended up adding the Pat Walsh shelf as well, it fit under my GPS mount without any problems. So the GPS is the exact same, I just have a shelf there as well (not really sure why yet...but someday that shelf will come in handy).

I also added a 12V outlet (cigarette lighter plug) to the bike. I will have to take a photo of where I mounted it, very nicely done (thanks to my buddy Grinchmob).

Anyways, if you are looking for a cheap, easy, non-invasive GPS mount, you can't go wrong with this one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just added this to my bike tonight. You're right - stupid easy. It's easy enough to do that I could see my self putting it on and off when I need it for a trip. I'm a little worried about how secure the GPS unit is, but I'll bang it around when I go for a test ride. Thanks for the tip on this.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That doesn't look all that easy to me...bending a piece of metal, a bolt. I am a total sissy when it comes to creativity.

I'm glad someone else tried this mount! Great job. I just added the MadStad bracket and now I have to go back to the drawing board....bummer.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You had expressed a little concern over the safety of your GPS unit. I had the same worries, but I have now put many miles on my bike with that mount on there and it's been fine. I did throw a zip tie around the small flat plate that attaches the ball mount to the actual base piece. That seemed to want to slide around a lot...and I didn't like it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm glad someone else tried this mount! Great job. I just added the MadStad bracket and now I have to go back to the drawing board....bummer.
Have you come up with another solution that works with the MadStad?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I went to the Madstad, I also had a Pat Walsh shelf...so I just used the 3M sticky pad and stuck it to the shelf. I liked the "wedged in there" mount better. The 3M pad setup seems to vibrate much more, but it works.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I logged 300 miles this weekend on an overnight touring trip. The GPS was sweet! There was very little if any vibration. I ended up adding the Pat Walsh shelf as well, it fit under my GPS mount without any problems. So the GPS is the exact same, I just have a shelf there as well (not really sure why yet...but someday that shelf will come in handy).
It looks like the Canadian Best Buy doesn't carry that mount, which is unfortunate. I'm sure there's an answer out there somewhere that's easy and clean like this one.

My real question though, as I have a Nuvi 750 already that I use in my car, is how well protected will this unit be when driving in the rain? The Nuvi isn't weatherproof. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but won't it get a shower from up underneath the windscreen?

·
Registered
962 Posts
My real question though, as I have a Nuvi 750 already that I use in my car, is how well protected will this unit be when driving in the rain? The Nuvi isn't weatherproof. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but won't it get a shower from up underneath the windscreen?
As you know your nuvi is not water proof. There is some pretty good rain protection immediately behind the windshield but eventually your nuvi will succumb to the moisture.

There are a few ways to make your nuvi last. Some use a sandwich bag over it with an elastic band.. I've seen some with a condom stretched over them.
I went with a more expensive but semi permanent solution and got an aquabox from RAM. It's basically a small waterproof pelican type case with a clear flexible cover to still access the touch screen.

It's been working great for a couple years now with my nuvi. I got it at GPSCity in Calgary. They'll have everything you'll ever need for your gps concerns, and the best prices I could find.

If your interested, I can take a pic tomorrow of how I have mine mounted.

Ken

1 - 20 of 24 Posts